Nitrate problem help please

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jessman, Mar 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ShootMe

ShootMe Astrea Snail

Ammonia is what causes the cycle to begin in the first place. The only difference is the source for the ammonia in the first place.

1) Place live rock in the tank and wait for the cycle to begin
    2) Use a piece of uncooked raw shrimp and let it decay for a couple of days
    3) Use 100% pure ammonia to help jump start the cycle

If you buy mostly live rock you can perform #1 and just wait. You will have some die off from the live rock as it is transferred from tank to tank which will then cause a ammonia spike. I went with 99% base/dead rock so I used #2 and #3 to get my cycle going.

2. Click Here!

3. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

i had about 100lbs of base rock and i was trying to get it started. i orderd 10lbs of really good rubbel. and had to cure it. i couldnt keep the ammonia down for 3 weeks. i did it in a 20 gal tub and i was doing 100% water changes everyday and still had ammonia burn.It was a pain in the a$$$$$$$$$$$

4. ShootMe

ShootMe Astrea Snail

What do you mean ammonia burn? Are you referring to the coralline algae that was probably bleaching from the ammonia?

5. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

im guess its the same thing

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

It will work just fine I have used Bo peep ammonia I could not bring myself to pee in the sump LOL .. Beer a slice of bread a pork chop chicken tender or breast a soiled pamper :) anything that is carbon based and rot will start the cycle.. like to use a single fish to start and maintain a constant demand on the system..

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

And if you need a soiled Pamper, we've got plenty that we can loan ya :lol:

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Had my first marine fish tank is 1959 or so we kept local chesapeak bay fish only but we did it . I Had my first real marine fish it was a rock beauty in 1962 talk about a ich machine my first LFS in 1971 or so . Yes I been around a while LOL seen it come and go several times . When they made a commercial bucket O salt available to the public in early 60's that was the best thing to ever happen.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

It won't have to go over night either LOL older the better.. I think I have a fresh culture now to deal with LOL

11. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

ok so i havent been doing anything with the tank. letting it do its own thing. in the last 3 day green long haired algae is EVERYWHERE!its atleast an inch long. What should i do?