Nitrate problem help please

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jessman, Mar 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I remember when real cultured and totally cured 12.00 lb rock hit the hobby for the Berlin system in the 80's rock was just bacteria and coralline . And it was touted then add water and this rock this morning and fish this afternoon its totally safe and cured .. NOT! But many fell into the trap then about 1990 92 ? They L/C sales fell off as it was just bacteria and coralline at 12.00 a pound in 1990 dollars . So the retailers fell up on Live rock full of living organisms WOW!!! how cool !
    But they never mentioned it was all going to to die LOL and foul the water. And that instant aquarium cycle kind of followed over to the crap they call L/R today .. I myself would never use a piece . My oldest son ( Thinking I would never hear of it ) paid $2,200 for a 100 Gal tanks worth of rocks LOL I about wet myself when The LFs guy asked me how does you son like that rock?? I laughed soooo hard it almost killed me .
    When I called him laughing my butt off busting his chops all I got was he was going to so the old fart how it's done by the new guys .. Not use old ice age people like myself LOL well his tank lasted about 3 months and Boom lost some really beautiful corals I have given him.. He I went back to the way he learned growing up with me .. Dead rock dead sand and a 3 month cycle with one little blue tailed damsal Just one...

2. Click Here!

3. ShootMe

ShootMe Astrea Snail

At $22 a pound that better be some kick @$$ live rock. Dead rock is the way to go, no pest to have to deal with. Dead rock, rubble from established tank, piece of raw shrimp, some pure ammonia, and a 3 month wait is how I did it.

4. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

Im using a kit NOT strips and yeah i got a glass lid. Iv seen him out once neer the top of the tank now that i got the bigger clowns. The only thing i see of him is his head when its time to eat. He doesnt leave the rock the clowns go after him.

5. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

the 10lbs i added of live rock was 3.88 a lb that wa tonga rock.i put 42 lbs of base rock in the other day. and i cant do the shrimp and ammonia trick cuz that a sure way to kill my fish. ima just wait it out

6. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

wow tagster you have been around a while haha

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Speaking of ammonia and LR and such...... Have you guys heard of using a cup of urine to start the cycle or am I crazy and just remembering things that weren't there :shifty:

8. Click Here!

9. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

i have heard it befor i didnt hear much about it tho

10. ShootMe

ShootMe Astrea Snail

You only tell the new people that its possible to start the cycle by peeing into the tank….

*do not pee into you tank. Or your websuit for that matter, especially if you ate asparagus the night before. And never in a dry suit….shudders….

11. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

but on that subject to. some say ammonia is good for getting your tank cycled. then agian if you have live rock iv HAD ammonia burn on my rocks??????

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  12. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

lmao i wouldnt do it anyways