Nitrate problem help please

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jessman, Mar 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. troythegreat

troythegreat Astrea Snail

you can also try building an algae scrubber and just clean it every week or so....i have one 4 months running now on my new tank and i havent had any problems with nitrates or algae since...

2. Click Here!

3. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

Anyone?

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Remember that smaller systems "feel it" better and faster than larger systems. Hope I made sense. Luna

5. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

Zero to 80 though?

That sounds absurd:eek:

Remember, that was overnight. Literally.

6. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

I dont understand it i get it but i think theres more to it. Im not stressing it as much now last night nitrates were at 20ppm ammonia was 0ppm so its getting better. BUT my buddy checked his PH and he said it was really low. I havent checked mine yet but he thinks the LFS doesnt put PH buffer in there RO water. We both get owr water from there. Is this true?

7. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

I dont know if it was over night or not. i checked it thursday befor i added the eel it was 0ppm. i then added the small clowns friday. Then i added the rock and the bigger clowns saturday morning. i checked it saturday night and it was at 80ppm. :eek: wait a min theres no way it could have been the rock thats not even 8 hours? :confused:

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Tank is just 6 weeks old leave it alone and add nothing more and give it 5 more weeks the problem will then be gone or real ! There is so much going on in that system at this point trying this and doing that will just keep it in turmoil and there is no simple fix , It takes time bacteria work on their schedule and all it needs is time at tis point.. Try to keep what ever you have now alive and feed it as litle as possible let it be no water changes and give it 6 more week.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes, you definitely overloaded your system enough to cause that high of a nitrate spike.

11. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

o im not messing with it or doing anything i and waiting

12. ShootMe

ShootMe Astrea Snail

Are you using test kits or test strips for your testing. Strips are known to be much more inaccurate compared to the kits. Either way it sounds like you defiantly overloaded your system. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid on your tank otherwise that eel is going to escape to the floor.