Nitrate problem help please

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jessman, Mar 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

If your tank was fuly cycled then adding 10 lbs of cured LR would not cause any problem but since your tank is not fully cycled thats why it caused your ammonia to spike. Do you have an eel and 3 clowns? You had 2 one dies and then got 2 more.

2. Click Here!

3. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Even with large fish the eel will eat them. Eels are for predator tanks not community...

1 person likes this.
  4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

+1
    +1

+1

a eel is a huge bioload, every fish it eats i would say it craps out half that amount, the unscheduled snacks(clowns) aren't helping either.

+1

any peaceful fish that fit in the eels mouth are snacks, unless there posioness(even then you may be unlucky and loose them both). only huge fish can go with predators. and at this period in your tanks development i wouldn't recommend any new additions

5. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

I fully agree.

My question is how does a 46 gallon tank go from ZERO Nitrates to 80 "Overnight"? That's only 8-10 hours.

Sumptins up right there.;D

6. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

thats what i dont get? and the ammonia is back to 0ppm the nitrates are still between 60 ppm and 80ppm

7. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

The eel is only about 8in long. His mouth is small thats why i bought the bigger clowns. i had 2 small clowns and he took care of one. Now that i got the 2 bigger clowns i cant even find him until i put his food in the tank. But iv read as long as you feed him he wolnt go after the other fish. SOOOO the other night i gave him a small shrimp he downd it in seconds and was lookin for more. I thought well maybe hes just hungry so i ended up giving him 3 of them lol. He threw them all up and he hasnt been greedy anymore. lol

I might have to get rid of him tho

[​IMG]

this is my tank is it normal for clowns not to go inside? or is it because they know hes hiding in there?

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yes its normal. I have never once seen my clowns hide in the rock. Very front and center fish that are always happy to see you ;) They would rather challenge something then hide from it anyways ;)

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Maybe I missed it in the thread but are you still running the biowheels in that Emperor? Biowheels produce nitrate like crazy. You'll want to eventually remove them and let the bacteria in the LR handle the nitrification process for you. Anerobic bacteria in the LR will then eliminate the nitrate for you. I recommend removing them one at a time (one week in between) saw the LR has time to take over the nitrification process.

11. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

wow i didnt know that BUT im runnin just a plain ol 60 gal walmart special at the moment. ima change everythign around tho when my funds get stocked up a bit.

12. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

sweet even with the nitrate problem they are still very happy and there eating good. i think they will make it.8)