Nitrate High for 4 days !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lust1kiddo, Aug 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

Hi...I posted the other day because my Mappa is super stressed and wont even eat. I am sure I might have over fed him..his tail is curved so I learned that he might be constipated. I have yet to try the remedies ( which so far I hear is either feeding him peas or an epsom salt soak. ) He is not eating at all. I have a 29 gallon biocube. The NItrate level is at between 10 and 20. My NItrites are at 0. I have done 7 gallon water change with sea water/distilled water mix. PH seems fine and low or 0 ammonia. This fish is in there with just sand and rock. I bought it purple already so the salesmen said it didnt have to cycle..that long and my fish was fine for a few days. I am getting sad and I dont want him to DIE !!!!!!!!! but I CANT GET THE NITRATES DOWN... PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I wouldn't panic over those nitrates. What you do need to know is what the true value for your water chemistry. What brand are you using for tests? What are you using to test salinity?

4. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

How long has your tank been set up, and did you let it cycle at all? The salesman was wrong, wrong, wrong to tell you that your tank did not need to cycle. ALL tanks need to cycle. The salesman is just that... A salesman. He is paid to sell you things. And it was irresponsible of him to sell you that fish.
    I'm not sure what a "mappa" is, but it sounds like he is very unhappy in your tank. And it is not the nitrates. Fish can tolerate very high nitrates, corals and inverts cannot. I think you are getting your ammonia spike, which is horribly toxic.
    Your best course of action is to return the fish to the store and cycle your tank properly. I won't go into the process, as it is documented in many places here... Do a quick search.
    I know returning the fish will be hard, as you have become attached to it. But it is the right thing to do.

mdbostwick, Roccus and Billme like this.
  5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

What do you mean sea water/salt water mix?

6. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

Saltwater mixed with Distilled water to bring down salinity.

7. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

It has been up for about a month with sand and water...and about a week with rock and fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

How are you measuring salinity? Refractometer? How are you measuring your water chemistry?

10. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

I am using a hydrometer for salinity and API drops for chemsirty

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Can you post all your measurements?

12. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Your tank has yet to cycle, yeah.