Nitrate Help

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by PaulvCooper, Mar 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PaulvCooper

PaulvCooper Plankton

What is the best way to remove nitrates and keep them at a low level on a constant basis? Is this even achievable? I was told mangroves do help so I added 2 to my system I was told 15 gallons per plant? Please give me some different directions to go.:p

2. Click Here!

3. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

I was battling high nitrates for over a year and I biult a DIY refugium for my 24 gal nano cube. Moy nitrates used to read around 50 ppm and once i plumbed in the fuge and added a DSB and chateomorph my nitrates are now below 5 ppm in about 3 mos. time. The other option would be a protein skimmer and/or religious water changes IMO

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I suggest that you find whats causing your NO3 issue rather than "band-aid" fixing it. Luna

5. PaulvCooper

PaulvCooper Plankton

I have a pretty active skimmer( system running 2yrs) So I'm just a little lost I'm in the 30ppm range but I know I need to keep it low for my inverts

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Unless you run a refugium or a coil or some media to Lock the NO3 up then all tank will suffer from them it has to happen its the sign the nitryfing process is working and if you /they have no way to deal with the end of the process then they either are not having a completed nitrogen cycle or they are not feeding or spends a lot of time cleaning a DSB or plenum..
    I myself use a fuge and I run a de nitrater coil thats what I always had to do to avoid no3 and to keep them at totally undetectable levels ..

Cutting way back on feedings is a must and I would tell anyone that most people feed their tanks to death and then feeding lots of frozen meat and stuff will also add to the problem as most are loaded with then , Then the water being used for top off may need to be looed at , I have seen some tap water to be off the charts and a R/O tohave a butterfly seal to be split and just enough untreated water was getting pass the seal .

7. PaulvCooper

PaulvCooper Plankton

I am currently running nitryfing media. I don't have a dsb..I do not use tap water at all.. All the other levels are, acceptable at 0. The only issue I have is the nitrate..I added a couple of mangroves back in January and it's still rather high. I am a maintenace freak so I know i'm good there. And I don't overfeed as I know this can lead to higher numbers

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Are you sure you don't overfeed? Not saying you are, but I've heard several people say they're not when they are. If you are sure, fine. If you're not, tell us how much you feed and what you are feeding and we can give some feedback - if you want.

I've read (though no personal experience) that mangroves aren't real super effective in removing nitrates. I've read chaeto is a good performer here.

10. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Chaeto and DSB in a fuge---Nitrates from 20-0 in 2 mo.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Sooo, how long have the Mangrove been in there? It takes some time for them to start pulling substantial amounts out of the tank. You give no info such as; your bio load, size of tank and your filtration system. Do you have the proper light for Mangrove?

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Was wondering if you had bio balls? luna