Nitrate confusion

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by GraviT, Aug 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Since I started my tank, I've been using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals 'Saltwater Master Kit'. I've noticed that this test seems to be inaccurate, as it always measures between 40 and 60 ppm, even shortly after a water change. Frustrated by this test, and unable to understand why my fuge isn't helping, I went to the LFS and purchased a FasTest kit. This one reads 10ppm.

Now, the confusion....the AP test states that the results from that method will measure 4.4 times HIGHER than tests that measure nitrate-nitrogen (which includes the FasTest). Question is, which test should I follow? Obviously, 10 ppm is much more desirable than 40 in a reef environment. [smiley=freak3.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

Shameless bump..certainly one of you guys have encountered this and have an opinion!! [smiley=crazy.gif]

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Gravit,

Sorry mate can't help as I don't know those test kits :)

I have always used Salifert as I belive they are the most reliable.

John

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It sound as though the AP tests are not refined enough to measure just the elements that are harmful to marine life. I would definitely switch tests and I would switch to Salifert IMO

J

6. GraviT

Thanks for the input. I've switched to a SaliFert test and it reads <10 mg/l. Guess my 'fuge is helping after all! [smiley=biggrinbounce.gif]

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Test kits are truly the essence of you get what you pay for. The higher cost is directly tied to higher accuracy. I have gone from Salifert to LaMotte for that very reason. Glad you are getting better readings and your refugium is contributing to lower nitrates!

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I have used AP test kits with my fresh water and had no problems so of course I bought their salt kit. I haven't had any problems with it yet. I think I will do a comparision with my friends test kit (if she lets me) and I will post the results. I believe she uses fast test Kits, not 100% sure.