Nikon D5100

Discussion in 'Aquarium Photography' started by twelvebeer, Aug 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. twelvebeer

twelvebeer Spaghetti Worm

In January 2011 I sold my Nikon D5000 and all my camera equipment to help pay for my saltwater tank obsession. About 3 months ago I started putting corals in my tank and have been missing my camera. Today I am picking up a new D5100 with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lens! Im so happy! I cant wait to take some shots of my tank!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Awesome congrats, hurry up and start posting.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I recently purchased that camera with the 15-55 lens - love it! Please share any tips. As odd as it sounds, I haven't used it seriously with my aquarium yet. THere was a thread here that somebody had great success taking the exposure down a notch and shooting with raw format to adjust color levels afterward. The pics were great. I got a tripod and lens cover and look forward to trying the same thing. Been on vacation, had to do OT at work and last week was a wedding. So I am way overdue. Share your results and I will check back..

matt

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Nice choice for an entry level DSLR! If you are looking to get some real close ups of your corals and tank inhabitants try getting a diopter set for your 18-55 lens. These are filters that act as magnifiers. Its a nice, much much cheaper alternative to getting macro shots without a macro lens. The 18-55 is a perfect candidate for these filters too. In my sig I have lots of pictures in my threads that I have taken with my D5100 if you are interested in looking. The last couple pages of my 30 gallon build feature the diopter set. By the way Im also very jealous of your 55-300mm lens. Thats the telephoto Ive been eyeing up for a while now. Let us know what you think of it!

http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=CLOSEUP

This is the kit I bought. 44 dollars at a local camera store.

6. chaliceguy89

chaliceguy89 Banned

not to be a page jacker i just also got the d5100 having some issues with the white to blue bal with my leds any help ??

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You will need to handle this in post processing most likely. Lightroom does a great job.

You can try using a light grey or white area for white balancing. There should be a tool that looks like a medicine dropper. Select it and then a spot that matches the program's criteria for white balance correction.

8. Click Here!

9. luisgo

luisgo Astrea Snail

I have a D5100 and is an excellent camera. If you want to play with white balance there is a custom setting where you play with a matrix. You can take several photos to see how they look with different settings.

Move the cursor all the way to the right andyou remove must of the blue.

Another thing you can do is turn off the blue lights or reduce the intensity if you can.

This is how the matrix looks

[​IMG]