niger trigger really reef safe??

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by 1fishyguy, Jan 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

Lfs is saying yes..but I have heard others say no..

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I have never heard them as being labelled as reef safe. Your CuC is a potential food source. Your corals are also possibly subject to nipping to keep teeth trimmed. While I have read some people do keep them in reef tanks (and had no problems), they are definitely an 'add a owners discretion' type of fish.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Niger Triggerfish

Minimum Tank Size: 180 gallons
    Care Level: Easy
    Temperament: Aggressive
    Reef Compatible: No
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
    Max. Size: 1'

The Niger Trigger or Redtooth Trigger is a striking fish for the home aquarium. The exact color of the Niger Triggerfish varies in this species of fish, and can also change from day to day between purple, blue and blue/green with a striking, lighter blue highlight on the fins and long tail lobes. The color temperature of the lighting also plays a role in the coloration of any fish in the home aquarium. As an adult, they acquire bright red teeth, and are normally dark purple in color with a blue/green highlight around their face making them quite interesting to watch when they eat.
    The Niger Triggerfish requires a 180 gallon or larger aquarium with rocks and caves for hiding, and may rearrange the landscaping and rocks. It vocalizes using a "grunting" sound. They are a great active fish for the more aggressive, fish-only display.

The Niger Triggerfish needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, small fish and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Some people keep them in reefs, but they are about as far from "reef-safe" as an fish commonly sold by our vendors. Under the right conditions they can do okay, but are definitely risky.

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Go with a blue jaw trigger...assuming you have the space.

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

they are great, one of the most docile fish i ever owned despite being a trigger, they will munch on any crustaceans however. mine was great in my 75 gallon until my large snowflake eel ate it. they are very shy fish. he got cornered underneath a clam shell, poor thing.

7. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Agreed!!!!
    If you have a big enough tank a blue jaw trigger is GREAT

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

He doesn't.

10. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Ive seen them come in all the time at just over an inch or so, He could put a small one in and then convince his wife he needs a MUCH MUCH MUCH larger tank in order to keep the bluejaw happy....

11. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

Maybe there are other things, budget etc...

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Call me crazy but I always felt the best way to go about it is upgrade the tank first then find suitable fish for it.;)