NickNiz's 12-gallon NanoCube Build Log

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by NickNiz, Dec 11, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NickNiz

NickNiz Plankton

Hello everyone! I just joined 3reef to complete this build log, and update it whenever something new happens. I'm not new to the hobby, but I am new to nano setups that are this small. I understand that small tanks require more frequent water changes, as water parameters can change overnight.

In setting this up, I had a few thoughts as to what I can do to prevent poor water quality. I was thinking about making a DSB to lower nitrates in addition to the water changes. Is this feasible in the 12-gallon NanoCube? How deep should it be? I was thinking about 25-30lb of live stand instead of the typical 1lb/gallon I've heard.

I want this to be a reef in the main display area, but does anyone know if it is feasible to throw chaeto into the back with a small light, and have a small refugium?

At some point I might throw in a UV sterilizer, but for now (chaeto aside) I plan on running a protein skimmer, carbon, and Purigen.

As for livestock, here's what I was thinking. I'd like to know if the bio load will be too high.
    Very small clown (ocellaris I think) that is included with tank
    Very small angelfish (will double check breed, but it's about .5 inches)
    Serpent starfish
    5 nassarius snails
    Hawaiian blood shrimp

All of this is susceptible to change, but I should be setting up the tank within the next week. Please give me your input!

EDIT: Upon reading Steve Wrights post, I will post my questions, listed above, into their respective forums.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016