Next question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by privateer, Apr 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. privateer

privateer Plankton

Ok, my rock has been in the tank for 3 1/2 months, my sand has been in place for 2 weeks, and I am seeing the bubbles in the sand, everything looks good. Now, the big question...... What's next??

I was thinking of a few Chromis next weekend, or should I go with sand critters? I am still a little 'green' when it comes to a DSB.

Any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I would lean towards fish. Chromis or some other option. There probably isn't much crap for critters yet, esp. if you have DIY rock, didn't you have that? Even if you don't I would probably go with the Chromis or a Percula or the like.

You have choices, maybe some else can point out some others.

[smiley=goldfish.gif]

4. privateer

privateer Plankton

My rock is about 60% natural - 40% homemade. I was thinking that fish would be the way to go myself. A small school (5-6) of Chromis is on my fish list, so that's where I'll probably start. [smiley=fish.gif]

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ah. That's cool. What I honestly don't know is if it is really kosher to start with a whole school. Maybe you start with 1-3 then add more?

Are you buying to replace or buying to keep? YOu know what I mean? The old school way would be to buy a bunch (of damsels) and see what lives.

Anyway, so you have had this going for nearly a month with rock and added sand a couple weeks ago? Sounds like it should be close to ready for sure. DId you test the water?

I am drinking 'Taurino' from my 'beers of the world' 8 pack, so out some the sombrero!

[smiley=sombrero.gif] :)

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i put a yellow tailed blue damse into my tank 2 weeks after it was started, no powerheads, no sand, a 20W lizard tube over the tank for lighting, and 2 pounds of LR.  It did fine, and even survived the marble chips being swapped for sand.  and i have a little school of 4 green chromises and they are doing fine too.  so id say ur tank is ready for sum fish.
    :)

7. privateer

privateer Plankton

The rock has been in for over 3 months,and no I don't like to by then replace, so I'll by the chomis to keep. It wont' be a large school just a few.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. I wasn't pushing, just thinking out loud. SOunds like a plan though.

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

The first three fish I had were Chromis. two, within 24hrs. thought it would be a good idea to see what makes a pump work from the inside. That night I was able to rig some screens for my PH. I replaced the two and have had all three since. They're great fish. but as soon as I go away they start to like the overflow and my wife spends hours fishing them out. It's really funny (they can't get hurt in there) but my wife freaks out. I'm always on the phone with her while she's got the net out HeHeHe

you'd think I trained them

J

11. privateer

privateer Plankton

Yikes..........ph and fish don't mix. I do like these fish ,I've had several in the past. I like the way they school above the rock. Sort of fills in the tank.

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Privateer,

IMO, definately fish first. Like Shrimp Man, I started with a yellow tailed blue damsel. Very hardy fish and probably the least aggressive of the damsel family. You need something in the way of animal life to keep the nitrogen cycle going, unless of course you are feeding the DSB directly.

Personally I would stay away from Chromis, as they too are in the Damsel family and are a very fidgety fish, they just seem highly strung to me LOL.

After the blue damsel I introduced a pygmy angel ( Lemon Peel ) and it is doing great.

My opinions on DSB's are well known so I'm not going to expand on them here except to say go slowly and give the animal and bacteria population in the DSB time to expand and retract before making any changes.

Hope that helps

John