Next on Animal Hoarders...

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Steve34, Feb 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

How big is your pistol?

I honestly saw no trace of mine for several weeks when I first brought it into the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

And they get louder as they get bigger, mine was a plinking noise when he was little. Sounds like a 22 now.

I hear the same all night, I'm sure that's the case but I don't know how effective he is as they are all over his cave.

4. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

~ 1".. I know hes around because there is a nice hole dug out where he crawled into the rock. The only thing that sucks is that my goby decided to live on the back side of the tank so now i never see it unless it is out feeding :(

5. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Luckily they tend to relocate until they find the prime spot. My pistol has made 2-3 big moves and he's not settled in right next to my computer so I can see the main cave entrance all day. Also why I tend to get distracted and end up making pistol shrimp threads in the evening.

Next time it's out grab some pics for us.

6. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Ill try lol. Is it nocturnal or will i just randomly see it?

7. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I think it depends on the personality of the shrimp. both of mine are very active at night, but the larger one in my 29G BC is very active throughout the day as well.

I probably see that one 20+ times per day, but I don't know if that's common.

8. Click Here!

9. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Idk about the pistol, but my goby has taken a liking to my banded coral shrimp lol

[​IMG]

10. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Here is a video of him cleaning/feeding/doing something with the goby

[​IMG]

11. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

so ive only seen the pistol every so often, and when i do its just his feelers usually.. but today i watched a snail cross infront of his cave and promtly was kidnapped by the pistol into his home lol.. then i heard click,click,click,click.. poor snail lol

12. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

;D that's excellent. I guess snails are either tasty or make good pieces of decoration. I've seen snails pounded into the sand as the entrance to the cave, seems to tick off the shrimp when they leave.