Newreef's 12 gallon Rimless NanoCube

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Newreef15, Oct 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Alright so I recently moved away to college GO NOLES!!!!! I left my 40 gallon back home with my old man, So after a few weeks I am settled in and have decided its time for a new tank.

Tank:
    12 gallon Nano Cube ( I took off the hood and the plastic rim to make it rimless)

image.jpeg
    Filtration:
    IM Aqua Gadget
    Filter Floss
    Later on ill put some chemipure in there
    image (2).jpeg

Lighting:
    AI Sol Blue ( I still haven't to figure out how I am going to mount this thing over the tank )

j.jpeg

Got some new goodies in the mail today from Redsea
    image (1).jpeg

FTS 11/6/15]
    IMG_0094.JPG
    Tank Born 10/3/2014

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    1.0reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Coooooool, so was it easy to get the rim off?

4. Newreef15

Thanks corailline, to take the rim off I used a razor blade and cut away at the silicone until I could wiggle the rim off. That was the easy part lol the hard part was cutting off all of the excess silicone. Then once I was done with that the rim was very rough and chipped. So I had to use a few different grits of sand paper to smooth out the top and get the look I wanted.

It wasn't extremely difficult but it just took some time and patients

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hmmm, sounds exactly like I imaged it would. Love the rimless look though, looks really nice, well done.

Guess you'll be looking at DIY lighting brace or buying some hangers, probably a lot easier than removing the rim.

I'll be curious to see how the skimmer works out for you.

6. Newreef15

I have been looking at making a diy arm out of aluminum to hang the light. I wanted to hang it from the celling but I don't think my landlord would enjoy that very much lol and AI really doesn't have a hanging kit for just a single fixture.

I have read a lot of mixed review on the skimmer but it is literally the only skimmer I found that would fit back there. I don't really plan on depending on this skimmer heavily because I will be doing 3 gallon water changes weekly on this tank and am only plan on keeping one fish tops.

Corailline likes this.
  7. DeeBee

DeeBee Astrea Snail

I made the hanging bracket for my AI Sol out of T-Slot aluminum and then attached it to the back of the cabinet as shown below. It looks clean and is also adjustable vertically and horizontally. Something like this may work for your situation.

[​IMG]

Attached to back of stand.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Newreef15

That looks really nice and I really like it do you have a thread on this build?
    where did you by the railing and most importantly where did you buy those brackets ?

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

congrats on the new tank! looks really nice and that light setup by deebee looks like it would be perfect for your tank

11. DeeBee

DeeBee Astrea Snail

Thanks! I bought the railing and brackets from 80/20 Inc. via eBay at: http://stores.ebay.com/8020incgaragesale/

Unfortunately I don't have a build thread but I will try to find a receipt of all the parts that I used and perhaps that will help.

12. Newreef15

We'll I'm going to head over to homedepot today. I'm thinking about using a shelf hanger to hang the leds from the wall. I will keep you guys updated and let you guys know