Newest photos, and questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Uvajed, May 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

Here's a photo of my tank, 5-27-08

[​IMG]

Two of my three Chromis (and clown):

[​IMG]

Two of my red leg crabs:

[​IMG]

My Diamond goby, he's about 2 inches long:

[​IMG]

The clown is there:

[​IMG]

What's next? I'm thinking of Pajama or Banggai cardinals. Any thoughts? Right now, I'm staying non-aggressive, until I'm comfy. Learning curve and all that.

After that, I think changing my lighting and starting to do corals might be the next step. I really appreciate everyone's input. Remember, I just started this hobby in April, and I am taking it real slow, perhaps too slow? I've waited 4 years to start this, so waiting a couple months is part of the fun.

Tank info:
    75 gal glass tank
    hanging protein skimmer (up to 100 gals)
    2 heaters (200 watts)
    canister filter (marineland 360)
    2 850 koralia power heads
    Crappy lighting that came with the tank
    90 pounds of fiji live rock
    80 pounds of pink fiji sand
    10 red leg crabs
    5 blue leg crabs
    3 blue/green chromis
    1 clown (tank raised)
    1 goby

All my water parameters are good, temp, ph, nitrites, nitrates, ammo, sg, etc. I haven't measured cal or the other reef stuff as I haven't gotten that far.

And suggestions as to what to do next would be fantastic! Thanks everyone!

Last edited: May 30, 2008
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd start with getting your kh, calcium and magnesium dialed in. And depending on the type of cardinal it would be a great choice. Pajamas are very hardy and banggai's are actually pretty tough to keep. Atleast for me and my close friend. They are known to be hardy though.

1 person likes this.
  4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'd add some snails also, their a really important part of the cleanup crew IMO

If I had to choose between hermits and an assortment of snails I'd go snails 100%

Skunk shrimp are a great addition too, just be really careful when acclimating them but their very personable and offer great services to their tankmates

5. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

Right now, I don't have the reef testing kit, but I can get one. Perhaps for now, I can ask my LFS to test those parameters. I have a good LFS, and from what I'm reading, not everyone is as lucky as I am to have what I have with respect to my LFS. I may do the pajamas, I'm trying to keep it simple stupid (KISS). I'm in this for the long haul, and want to learn the right way to keep a reef. I'm sure in 5 years, I'll look back and LOL at myself for being so cautious. But, this is my style, must be my geeky side. (engineer and all that)

Thanks for your advice.

Uvajed

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  6. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

I've been waiting for snails, I don't have any algae yet. What about shrimp, tell me more..... Am I doing something wrong to not have algae? My water temp is about 80° F.

7. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

One other question, I have the crappy lighting that came with the tank, should I upgrade the lighting now, or wait? I'm still in the FOWLR mode. Also, my rocks aren't growing like I think they should be, or am I too new yet to expect growth? (Tank started 4-14-08 )

Uvajed

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

If you get those 3 other parameters dialed in you will start seeing some coralline algae growth. What kind of salt mix do you use? And what kind of budget/ideas do you have for new lighting?

10. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

Salt: I'm using the Instant ocean huge bucket, looks like a 5 gal pail. My sg is in the range.

Budget for lighting: LOL! (We're not rich, so we have to watch the budget, probably like most here) My LFS said T5's were good.

RE coralline algae, should I clean the back of my tank, or leave it for growth? I've cleaned the sides and front, but didn't touch the back. Like I said, my tank is really new. This is so fun! Thanks for your help!

Uvajed

11. missionsix

Try IO's reef crystals the parameters come dialed in. And I don't clean the back or, sides of my tank. And t5's are a good start.

12. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

What about products such as color enhancers (something purple product)? I've cleaned the sides, only because where the tank is located, it looks nicer.

One unrelated question, how do I add karma? You've been so helpful, I would like to boost your number. Like I said, 5 years from now I'm going to LOL on what I'm doing. But, I have to start somewhere.

Will T5's take me through this next step without killing off stuff? That's my biggest concern, not killing my animals. I guess that's why I'm in the slow mode, I want to learn what works for my tank, suggestions from you folks, what works, what's just plain wrong, and what will fulfill my critters.

This isn't a 'finding nemo' project. Although, my 2 year old granddaughter thinks it's cool her grandma has 'nemo' in her living room. ;D