newbie to sumps. how do i complete this tank?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by banthonyb71, Jul 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I purchased this sump from a garage sale and i have zero clue how they work. I only kmow there purpose. What parts do i need to finish? My tank is not filled and i dont even.kmow.how a overflow works. I do know i want a refigium and skimmer. And i dont know about plumbing either. :-[

2. Click Here!

3. bigwhiteboybob

bigwhiteboybob Astrea Snail

sumps are pretty easy they sit under the tank and you can do a few different things depending on how it is set up. how many chambers are there in yours?

the basic setup generally has 3 stages. in my opinion most go like this your intake side 1st stage generally has your filter socks or sock and people generally put there carbon and other media bags there. then the 2nd stage which is where i have my protein skimmer and i custom made a acrylic divider so i can have my 2nd stage split fuge on one side and skimmer on the other "also you could put skimmer in the first stage with the media and what not" in my case if i did that then the skimmer would be to far away for quick adjustments. 3rd would be very simple your return side with your return pump. now things are interchangeable you could always put your media in the last chamber it all really depends on what your size your working with is. whats easier ya know. i read some where the easier things are to work on the more likely you are to do it. also the plumbing is easy either you have a drilled tank for intake or a hang on back skimmer box and you will have your return line from your pump simple easy. good luck!!

4. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Ok.. thanks. Actually though forgot to put picture of sump. 2nd.. how does this overflow thing work? So the box with the rigges gets filled with water? Then what...? It gets syphon into box on opposite side? I feel like an idiot but no clue. Included with sump is picture with overflows

Attached Files:

5. bigwhiteboybob

okay so the picture you posted is good and all but it looks like you may have one to many things there all you need is the one with the pipe in the bottom and the clear box with the peg in it. the peg connects the two boxes together like in the one on my old tank pictured below.

then there will be a tube that connects the two which is in the pictures below its a U you then have to fine a flexible tube one that comes with a bubbler will work fine it just needs to be flexible and small. you put that flexible tube half way into the U and when the box with slits fills with water you suck threw that flexible tube to get the air bubble out it will then create the syphon needed to get your flow going and dont worry when you loose power you wont loose syphon. hope this helps let me know if you have any more questions

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
  6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I would just buy a new Eshopps overflow rather than trying to make that one work. To me it doesn't look like that would keep its siphon on power loss without an aqualifter pump.

7. bigwhiteboybob

I couldn't tell you what his will do only mine and with no pump I never broke syphon only manually when cleaning

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Why do you suspect that u tube style overflow box wouldn't keep siphon?
    Mine is just like it and does great. I turn it off every day to feed and it's never lost siphon.
    Relying on a $12 aqualifter pump to not have overflow issues is just silly.

Folks have been using the u tube style overflow boxes for decades, they're the best.

I recommend if someone was buying new, to by an overflow with 2 drains (1 or 2 U tubes) reason being, you can put a hofer gurgle buster on one drain for your main drain and make the 2nd taller as an emergency drain.

Or DRILL BABY DRILL if it does not have water yet!

10. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

That overflow looks fine...I'd go ahead and use it. As a part of your regular routine, take a peek at the U-tube and clear out any bubbles or algae that may accumulate in it...this is true for any HOB overflow that uses U-tubes (BTW, this type is better than the CPR-type at holding siphon...never had an issue with this type when I used one). You can always add a second U-tube for back-up if you want.

This is a REALLY good explanation of what happens when a sump is running...just watch the little animation:

HOW A SUMP WORKS

Of course, we're all here to help as well, but that animation should really help.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Greg, that link brings you back to this thread :confused:

12. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

HAHA Circular Logic! HAHAHA