Newbie Salt Water FISH!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mkizla, Jul 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

A heater is not completely necessary during your cycle i don't think..but you will definitely want one by the time it starts cooling off because you'll most likely have fish by then..Yes the biowheels are good..i would get one rated larger than 20..better too much filtration than too little..a 30 should do fine..when you go to the store to get the salt it will show how many gallons of saltwater it will make..I'm not sure the exact size of the bags but get more salt than you need incase you screw something up lol you'll need tap water conditioner too if you aren't going to be using RO/DI water..you can get by with tap..i did for a while..and california is crazy with health regulations so i doubt you water has TOO much junk in it..

2. Click Here!

3. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Alright thank you. You have helped me out with lots of my question, I really appreciate it. Thank you again. I think this is all the question I have so far untill my 2nd step. Which is buying live rock and sand and that test kit thing from petco. Red Sea Marine Salt Water Aquarium Starter Kit at PETCO

Hm..this reminds me..Since I am already going to get salt today, Do I need that kit that comes with "salt" and other materials? Or can I just buy other materials seperatly at 2nd step for testing stuff.

Or will just buying the kit be much cheaper instead of buying 1 by 1?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  4. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

5. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Hm so..I should buy the salt, and that kit later on right?
    Is there any other "test" stuff I have to buy?

6. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

buy the test kit when you get your live rock/salt. You will also want to get a hydrometer on the first day..i forgot that..the Instant Ocean brand is good

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

The live rock and sand along with a powerhead to circulate the water are very important part of your biological system, besides being decoration.Starting with these items and taking things very slow with a lot of patience is a good way to start and should help save you a lot of money.Also,most local fish stores will test your water for free,this could save you from buying test kits right away although you should get your own and learn to use them as soon as it is affordable for you. Best of luck and keep asking questions,this is agreat place to learn ! Dave

8. Click Here!

9. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

mm okay thanks guys ;D

10. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

well..http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/1274225198.html
    I bought this set from a local guy, for pretty cheap I think. Came with 5 fish, 20 lb live sand, 15lb fiji live rock, and that 12 gallon tank and pretty nice bio wheel filter.

Now i setted up the tank did 20% water change, and everything is running smooth. Tang seems to be shy and is hiding behind the rocks. Now my concern is, is 5 fish too much for 12 gallon tank? Because I really want to add 1 more clown fish in there. And add some corals and some Anemones into tank. And a clean up crew. How should I add more fish into the tank? or shirms? or those corals or anonomies? Please help

11. brian0420

brian0420 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

250 with no tank....sorry but thats impossible....i'll give you some ideas to save cash, and letcha know what i spent....first i already had a 55 gal tank, i would reccommend at least a 30 gal, i had trouble keeping freshwater fish in anything less than a 30 and fw is way easier than sw. next u need a marineland boiwheel filter, i spent $40 off ebay, smaller tank would mean cheaper filter, u don't need protein skimmer or anything else right away although they are needed bout a year or so down the road. next is sand, i used plastic cutting board on bottom, 40lbs base sand $30 and 20lbs live sand $28 it will create shallow sand bed and cutting boards will protect bottom glass in case of rock slide. next i got live rock and i overdid it there with 35 lbs of all live rock at $5/lb...u can use base rock at half that price and just put 5-10lbs live rock on top of the base rock....next up is salt, don't remember the price but i just bought a big bucket....i'm sure u could get away with spending about $20 to get started....last up is lighting and i'm sure i will get a lot of crap about this but i started out fine with 2-18" fluorescent lights and later built a plywood hood and fit 4-48" standard fluorescent fixtures into it, they are far cheaper than t-5 and put 1 blue actinic and 1 10k bulb and 2 standard fluorescent bulbs...i don't have coral yet but am keeping an anemone with great success and growing algae just fine....i do reccommend a timer for the lights though....so if u can find a tank, heater, and aerator for a under $75 u should be able to make it close to yer budget

12. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

the posting on craigslist has been delted..but you got a tang?!?! in a 12 gallon tank?!? 5 small fish is way too much for a 12 gallon..but with a tang? thats impossible man..it won't last.