Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Bears78, Aug 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Besides then it leaves some $$$ for the fish/coral and anything else you want inside!

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

didnt read through anyones posts really, too tired, but RO is Reverse Osmosis, and DI is De-Ionized...anyone correct me if im wrong, just to tired to really think to hard

deionized water is water with the ions removed

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yeah, same thing. $400 got me going. I have replaced most of it though. All the powerheads are changed, the sump is redone, the skimmer is replaced, the thermometer is swapped out. I do still have the sand, tank and cabinet though!!!!

Upgrades!!!!!!;D

5. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

i have a biocube 29. similar tank to the red sea max. nice tank! looks like a piece of furniture. one plug cant go wrong. the larger the tank the less maintance and more time you have if things are going wrong. have you noticed on sites like craigslist you cant find red sea max and or biocube? thanks because the people who have bought them dont sell them!. seamless glass is the only way to go. and of course bow.

6. Bears78

Bears78 Plankton

Thanks for the info. I have room for a larger tank, but I just didn't want to buy anything bigger until I got the hang of how to properly take care of the fish and reefs along with the water adjustments. I do want to add a sump pump to my tank, not sure if I can do it with getting a RSM but I'm not sure. I understand your point though, it seems like for a better price I can build my own bigger tank with quality equipment instead, plus I could add in a few more fish..

I've read that sump pumps are the way to go...I will look into getting a 55 gal. along with your suggestions and go from there. I'm not set in stone with the RSM, I just figured I couldn't go wrong for what it offered.

Also thanks for the RO/DI info, it was driving me crazy trying to figure that out.

7. Bears78

Bears78 Plankton

Good info, yeah the price is hefty for a first timer but I was willing to pay it as long as I was getting something worth while. I want a reef setup with coral, live sand etc. and I'm sure that once I get more expereince I'll want a bigger tank. I guess it's off to the lfs.

As for the RO/DI thanks for the info, I'll see if my store sells it as well...I'll post pics as soon as I start.

Thanks for all the help!!!

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Right on brother......yeah, get some pics up, even if it's empty. I want to seeeeeeee.

10. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Most LFS will sell RO water if they sell SW!

11. Bears78

Bears78 Plankton

Ok guys here’s the breakdown. I went to my LFS last night and finally bought a tank, man if you guys could have seen me I was acting like a kid in a candy store. I spent a little more than I thought I would but it’s worth it so I’m happy, plus since my wife didn’t see the final price I’m extremely happy. I went for a 75 gallon tank instead of the Red Sea Max, mostly due to all of the comments I saw about going for a bigger size. And the sales guys told me how it was a good tank and they did sell them, but in the long run if I had the room I would kick myself in the butt for not getting a large one. Plus I want a tank/reef that I can work with and have fish that can move around…needless to say I almost got the 90 gallon which is just a little bit taller but I chickened out.Haha

The guys at the store said they where finally glad to see me buy a tank. Over the last 3 months I would go in ask a bunch of questions, do my research, and go back in and ask some more. I tell you what though you don’t find good stores like that too often, as many times as I’ve been their, they never pushed me into buying a tank just answered any question I had. So after spending a couple hours in the store with my wife and asking the sales guys question I said ok lets do it!

It was funny, they all thought I was joking at first but we went to work. As I said I got a 75 gallon tank that came as a kit, which had a few surprises included like a sump since I was going to buy a smaller tank and build my own, and an Obit light that they where all like know way is that included as part of the kit, said it was about a $900 light that had just been sitting there so the manger threw it in. In fine print it said pay $100 and it would go with the kit…brand new in the box.

The kit included:
    the tank and stand; live sand; sea salt, a Pro Clear Premier Filter System; 48’ Outer Obit light for an additional $100; 2 Maxi Jet 600’s (which I swapped out for 2 Hydo Koralia #3’s); a TAA Heater Viaaqua; Hydrometer; Overflow Kit and a couple other little throw ins all for $1700. I added in a couple other items like 2 more bags of live sand to make a 4 inch bed. I also bought an ASM G-Mini Protein Skimmer for a 75 gallon tank…even though I had all of my notes with me, I forgot until today to ask about the skimmer. I’ve read that for a skimmer you want to get obviously a good one, but you want one that can handle more than the size of your tank. So the one I got can handle 75 gallons but I should have gotten one that handles 90 or 100 gallons…is that true?
    If so I can always go back and change it for a bigger size.

I didn’t bring the tank home with me since they had to order more live rock and another powerhead…plus along with the holiday sale they offered free delivery and setup so I didn’t mind. I will post the pictures AS SOON as it’s done, but in the meantime could you guys let me know if what I have is decent or if I’m forgetting to add anything.

Oh yeah…my wife was asking me since I got all of this stuff with the kit when they set it up will they bring the water? Obviously during my time of acting giddy in the store that the simplest thing like water just slipped my mind. I know they sell it, but don’t know if that’s a separate cost or what?

Oh well guess it’s another trip to the store! ;D

Sorry for the long post... Thanks!!!

12. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

no they wont bring the water! 75 gallons of water weighs around 700 pounds!