Newbie needs help with coral placement???

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Area 51 Exotics, Jun 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

After reading several older threads, I got some of my questions answered as far as gluing the corals to LR. The one thing I couldn't find was how close you can place corals to each other. In some of the tanks that I see the coral seems to be right on top of each other, don't you have to worry about them stinging each other??? I'm trying to get my tank to look very full, but not quite sure how to get there safely?? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

You want to place them with room to grow, and based on their lighting needs. Yes, if they are close enough to touch each other, they are close enough to sting.

You want to watch for corals that may have sweeper tentacles, which can get pretty long (I have heard up to about 10 inches!) Corals such as hammer, galaxia, frogspawn, bubble and octobubble corals all may have these types of sweepers.

I am not sure what prompts these sweepers as I have 2 frogspawn, and a hammer and have never seen sweepers on mine. But they are quite far from other corals.

Place SPS corals so that you may easily frag them as they grow.

I , too, am afraid of a stinging war so none of my corals are close. But I don't really have that many ;D

Maybe Gresham (or someone) can help as to what may be placed near each other... ;D

1 person likes this.
  4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Most soft corals will not sting each other but they can be aggressive enough to grow over the "weaker" corals in the tank. Most euphyllia corals (i.e. hammers and frogspawns) will not sting each other if placed side by side. However, torch corals (also a euphillia) does not play well with others of its species as do the hammer and frogspawn. Based on your list of corals:

Bubble Coral (has long sweepers-keep it a good distance from all of your other corals)
    Hammer Coral (has long sweepers-keep it a good distance from all of your other corals-will not sting certain corals of its own species, i.e. frogspawns and other hammers)
    Torch Coral (has long sweepers-keep it a good distance from all of your other corals-will sting all corals, including those of its own species)
    Cup Coral (short polyps, no sweepers-can be safely placed next to other non-stinging corals)
    Brain Corals (has long sweepers-keep it a good distance from all of your other corals)
    Plate Coral (short polyps, no sweepers-can be safely placed next to other non-stinging corals)
    Mushroom Leather Coral, Finger Coral (short polyps, no sweepers-can be safely placed next to other non-stinging corals)
    Star Polyps (very aggressive in that it will overtake and grow over weaker, neighboring corals)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
    1 person likes this.
  5. Area 51 Exotics

Thanks for the info, I just uploaded some pictures under the Members Gallery/Large Aquarium section. If something looks wrong PLEASE let me know!!! I'm very aware that I still have a lot to learn!!! Thanks again all.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

SHUT UP! I did not know that brains had sweepers! See, I am so still learning!

I keep my Green stars on a separate rock and frag regularly to keep it in check! Same for Xenia and anthelia, and other matting corals :)

7. Area 51 Exotics

Looking back, I really wish I had paid more attention in High School... This is all so overwhelming at times! I've been reading on the husbandry of corals but I'm getting lost with actually identifying them. 3 people call the same coral 3 different names!!! I guess it's just something I'll have to pick up in time.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I sure don't remember this topic being taught in High School. Then again, I don't remember much from my high school days at all :)

I took a look at your pics and it seems like you've got your corals well spaced. Just keep in mind that these corals will grow so what works today may not work "tomorrow". Just keep an eye on the corals and look for signs of stress/stinging and take it from there :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I should have clarified that most closed brains (favias in particular) have long sweepers while open brains have short stubby sweepers. :)

Here's a somewhat decent article on coral aggression/placement.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1988&articleid=2955