Newbie NEEDS HELP saltwater tank--- feeding question.

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Oceannites, Sep 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Oceannites

Oceannites Plankton

Hi my name is Lisa and I am a newbie when it comes to my 150 galling saltwater tank,
    I have2 blue damsels, 2 clown fish, 1 powdered blue tang, aurila butterfly fish, and a flame angel. I am wanting to make sure I am doing the proper feeding routine. In the morning I place and alge strip in a clip, which the butterfly and tang love. Around noon, I feed them a cube of brine shrimp. ( I don't de-thaw it should I??) And the a a out 3 I the afternoon I give then a tablespoon of Dainichi reef veggie mix with cyclop--eeze.

They fish link good no signs of ick. I just want want to make sure I am doing things right and am willing to change what I am doing if it would be better for them.

Anybody botany ideas???? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347862645.498660.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

What lights do you run?

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hi Lisa, and welcome to 3Reef!

You might want to consider feeding a frozen omnivore or carnivore mix cube occasionally, as that will provide them with a more diverse meaty diet. Brine alone doesn't fulfill the nutritional needs of many omnivores or carnivores.

Not only should you thaw the cube, but it should be rinsed, as well. The processing juices are a source of phosphates, which can lead to nuisance algae blooms. Also, it wouldn't be good if your fish swallowed ice crystals.

Hope this helps.

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Not sure what you kind of botany ideas your asking for.For info on macroalgae(marine plants),reefcleaners.org is a good site.For coral info try liveaquaria.

6. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

your feeding sounds good, just a little food three times a day.

can you post more pics of your tank i would love to see more.

and welcome to 3reef