Newbie bulkhead question

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Tropo, Apr 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

Hey everyone,

So I am going to be putting together a 20 long with a built in outflow/inflow going to a 20 high sump. How do I know how big of a bulkhead to install? Is it easy to get the outflow and inflow at the same rate so one isn't greater than the other? How would I accomplish this?

Appreciate the help!

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Typical sizes for smaller systems are 1 inch for the drain and 3/4 inch for the return.

The overflow skims from the surface and therefore dictates the DT water level, so regardless of what the return rate may be, the drain will always match it.

4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Mr Bill got the bulkhead part. What I did to match flow was to buy a bigger return pump than I needed. Then I put a ball valve on the return line and adjusted it to match the drain. You'll want the drain running at full boar and then dial back your return to match. Then if you ever need you can turn your return up/down to fine tune.
    That's how I have it on my sump and it's money, once I got it tuned to match. I did almost have an overflow of the display tank when I wasn't watching! :eek:

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I won't say your method won't work Zesty, but having an overflow that skims the surface of the DT is the safest and easiest. Water cannot jump up into the overflow, so only that which is being pumped in by the return can drain back to the sump, regardless of flow rate, size of pipe, etc., etc. You also have the benefit of surface biofilm being skimmed and drained to the sump for processing.

Also, for best efficiency from your filters, your flow through the sump should be around 5x the DT volume.

6. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

Thank you for your responses! Do you guys recommend a bulkhead brand or specific one for this type of project?

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Oh yeah, I got you Bill. I kinda just went to what I have, which is a non drilled overflowed beast. I agree with you, nothing over the rim of the tank would be better, surface skimming included. I use my powerheads to make sure I don't get any surface scum.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You can still have a totally surface skimming tank, without it being drilled though.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid