NEWB small diy skimmer(is this idea gonna work)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by BluePhish, Oct 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

hello I have a 44 gal corner tank that is cycling with cured live rock now for 2 weeks. Im thinking its time to start that skimmer ive been putting off. im starting small and cheap. hot style skimmer. 1st question, would a powerhead rated at 170gph be sufficient to pump water threw the chamber? the power head like most mixes air from air tubing as it exits the ph. id probaly add some lime wood air stones for more bubbles too. I would have the ph positioned as close to the top as possible pumping water and mixing it with air, and then threw pvc/acrylic tubing into the chamber. the chamber would be positioned about the height of the ph on the side of the tank. should i make the water outlet little bigger than the inlet? I know know its not the massive creations most of you end up with, but any skimmate is better than none right?

By the way i wont have any coarls with this skimmer just for FOWLR
    ill work my way up in time

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well your lime stones will help, but I have a feeling that powerhead is too small.

You raise an interesting question, does anyone have a ratio for skimmer GPH to aquarium volume?