New Wood and Glass Tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dx7fd2, Jul 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Here's a few pics of my Plywood and Glass tank. The sides, bottom and back are made from 3/4" exterior grade plywood, the front from Red Oak. The inside is sealed with 4 coats of 2-part Carboguard 891 epoxy paint manufactured by Carboline. This paint is extremely safe for potables, pharmaceuticals, and non-toxic to marine life forms. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I'll put up some better pics when I get everything going and have film in the camera. I'm stuck with a little WebCam, but it will have to do (not very portable)!! ;)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

wow..looks awesome..keep us posted with pics!!! ;)

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Pretty Cool! I hae seen a few pics of your different DIY's....gee, you aren't a Type A perfectionist now are ya?
    Everthing always looks so neat an professional! Great Work! ;D

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No kidding.. wow! Great job. :eek: 8)

So glad you mentioned the paint, I am probably upgrading some tanks soon and may have some painting to do. How much is it per gallon?

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Birdlady, I'm not really a perfectionist, but, when I have time to do it right...might as well...Thanks for the encouragement... [smiley=grin3.gif] [smiley=grin3.gif]

Matt, the paint is not cheap. It comes in a 2 gallon kit at $91. But that makes two gallons and I figure I could do at least 2 more tanks this size, maybe more, learning curve for me.You don't have to use it on the outside, but I went ahead and did the bottom outside and the back outside with it. This stuff cures into a rock hard surface!!!  If you decide to use this for aquatics, don't use the thinner, it is toxic, and hangs around several weeks after the paint has cured.

I learned to mix just enough for one coat, then you have to let it cure for a day, then the next coat ETC. The stuff is major stinky, so I did it outside and wearing gloves and a mask is a good idea!!! ;)

You can't see the ends in these pics but I'll put some up later. I finished the ends kind of like Vikings first tank, a faux marble sponge effect with three different colored latex acrylic paints and then overcoated the latex with 3 coats of Varathane.

I think if I build another bigger one, I will line it with that real light GE acrylite plastic from HDepot or maybe even FRP. The body is strong as heck and you could silicone the plastic liner in and do the corners just like a glass aquarium.

I'll keep you all posted. By the way the total cost on this tank is about $200, including the paint and the glass. I think the thing that really appeals to me about building this is that it is lighter and as strong if not stronger than a glass or acrylic tank, and I can customize the size and shape to my desires!!! ;D

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

WOW Sweet Project. That looks incredable. I never thought I'd like the look of a wood and Glass tank but you've converted me. How many Gallons do you figure it is?

Jason

8. Click Here!

9. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

It looks great! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]