New Ultrathin Micro-LED can Replace OLED for Strechable, Thinner, Brighter Displays

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

New ultrathin inorganic light-emitting diodes (LEDs) that shine brighter and last longer than conventional LEDs are literally being stamped out into large arrays and being interconnected using thin-film processing on stiff, flexible and even stretchable substrates. This technology could make way for some interesting aquarium LED light fixtures! 8)

[​IMG]
    New Ultrathin Micro-LEDs

[​IMG]
    Micro_LED display printed on a thin sheet of plastic, wrapped around a finger

New Ultrathin Micro-LED can Replace OLED for Strechable, Thinner, Brighter Displays | Taranfx: Technology Blog

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. crazy reef love

crazy reef love Skunk Shrimp

Thats really cool. I would like to have those. do you know if any are on the blueprint for aquarium fixture's?

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Now, I like that technology. It is very intriguing especially this aspect of it; " As part of the growth process, a sacrificial layer of material is embedded beneath the LEDs. When fabrication is complete, a wet chemical etchent removes this layer, leaving the LEDs undercut from the wafer, but still tethered at anchor points."

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

they could make an led background for an aquarium that continued to light up and "sway with the current" at night. Haha!

6. Reefjack

Reefjack Astrea Snail

That would be awesome!

I love technology like this because the applications are virtually limitless, not just in aquaria, but for almost any medium you can think of.