New toadstool leather

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Blueboy, Feb 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blueboy

Blueboy Plankton

Howdy, I just got a new toadstool leather at the LFS this afternoon. I acclimated with the usual drip method. It has been in my tank for several hours and has yet to open. I was wondering whether or not I should be worried as of yet. My water conditions are good. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi Blueboy..

Not to worry.

Took mine a week to really start opening up. Then it would be for only short periods of time for another week or so. - spent lots of time shrunk and shriveled.

Have yet to determine his "cycle" (after 6 mos) - opens up and shrinks down on a very irregular basis. But has grown much and when fully "reaching" is awesome now.

Seems to like the DT's plankton substitute I have been adding to tank. (of course may be just coincidence, am not really sure what they feed on. :-/ )

Just be patient. Am sure he will do fine.

Rgds,

OmarD

OmarD

4. Blueboy

Blueboy Plankton

Thank you Omard, I feel a lot better now. [smiley=party007.gif]

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

give it time there are things it has to get used to like maby different lighting, current then in the lfs. also some fish stores may have a different salinity then your tank it may have to adjust to that also. some keep it lower to try and help prevent against disease

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have two toadstools about 6 inches apart that open and close and look half dead at different times and sometimes look great at the same time. I wouldn't worry for a while. The same toadstools were on the rock when it was donated to me I cycled my tank with used live rock new live sand and some odd ball pieces that came with the rock ( 2 toadstools 1 Gorgonian, ! unknown anemone and some shrooms) It all survived so the toadstools are pretty hardy. By the way just because I cycled it this way doesn't mean I endorse it or even suggest it. I didn't have a place for them and figured if I could save them rather then have the guy pitch them in the trash it would be worth the try, some chance is better then no chance.

7. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Toadstools can be weird sometimes. I've had mine for 2 years and he pretty much opens when he wants to. He has no cycle. Most corals open up when lights come on. Sometimes he does sometimes he doesn't.