New to the site, 8 month old biocube 14 feeding

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by hart24601, Dec 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

Hey everyone, after lurking around for quite a while I decided to join up! I have a biocube 14 for about 8 months now, here is a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u38OQ17PbUs

The quality isn't great, just iphone vid, but I think it shows more than pictures. Pretty much a LPS tank. I have the biocube power head rated at 250gph and the return is 180gph.

The rear chambers are filled with water with chamber 3 not quite filled up as the JBJ auto-top-off sensor is in there.
    Chamber 1 has my heater and 1 packet of purigen at the top, chamber 2 has some rubble and chaeto - I light the chamber from the back with marineland LED.
    Chamber 3 has the stock pump, I dropped in some chemipure elite on the top of it that I change every few months. It also has the JBJ ato sensor.
    I normally clean the glass every week or two. It doesn’t need cleaning all that often. It’s pretty low maintenance. I try to exchange some water once a week, but sometimes I push that to every other week. Depending on how I feel I will sometimes make 5 gallons of saltwater and store it, then I cut the top off a gallon jug to use it as a scoop. I then take one scoop out of the aquarium – nothing special, just from the top water, and replace that scoop with the stored salt mix. Easy way to change ~10% of the water, it only takes about 5 min and you only need to mix one bucket of salt every 5 weeks.

If I am feeling a bit more ambitious I will change 4 gallons of water syphoning the crud from the back chambers, cleaning the screen to the return pump and washing out the chemipure bag. I normally take the chaeto out once a week and rinse it, if it doesn’t look too dirty I will just squeeze it a few times in the front display of the tank.

I also test Ca, Alk, Ph, Phos, Nitrate once a week or so.

Sound good? Like I said everything has been doing well and growing, but this is my 1st reef tank. I did tons of research before starting the aquarium. I recently started feeding the coral, I wish I had before. I thought they were getting fed from the water current but after turning pumps off and spot feeding I can see they were not getting much of any food.
    I have been feeding mysis and brine shimp via pipette directly on the corals and they gobble them up. I just bought some cyclop eeze because I got a bazooka joe, bubblegum monster and maimi hurricani chalice and the other food seems too large. It looks like they were eating it today. Does that seem good? Anything else I should feed?
    Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Welcome to 3reef! Very nice tank!

4. hart24601

Thanks Camkha! I have found it impossible to take decent pictures with my phone... Maybe its the PC lights.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Very nice tank! I'm glad you decided to come out of the shadows lurking :) and share! You obviously are doing things well because your tank looks so healthy and colorful. Nice job!

6. hart24601

Thanks! I really like cyclop-eeze so far. It seems the perfect size for my LPS as the smaller eyes can eat them and it looks like the larger guys took them too.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Fixed the Youtube for viewing. :)

Welcome to 3reef.

Great tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Very nice looking tank!

1 person likes this.
  11. hart24601

Thanks for all the complements and fixing the video. It has been a fun and rewarding hobby so far! I really tried to do lots of research for setup and coral selection and I think that is the reason it's been smooth, due in a large part to all the knowledge shared on this site! Hopefully I can share my experiences and help others eventually.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef! That is a beautiful tank you have there :)