new to the hobby

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by jworks, Nov 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jworks

jworks Plankton

Hello, I got a start in reefing helping a friend take care of his tank while deployed. So I finally got a tank of my own. Though I planned to start small, I got a steal on an already established 65 gallon with a 25 gallon sump. It came with 70 + lbs of coral some cabage leathers and what I was told to be Kenya trees, but they are a purple color. Also a lawnmower blend, a serpent star, an a snowflake eel that I traded off quickly.
    Current live stock:
    2 percula clown fish
    1 matted file fish
    1 blue hippo tang
    1 butterfly
    1 domino damsel
    1 blue velvet damsel
    1 lawnmower blend
    4 peppermint shrimp
    1 coral banded shrimp
    1 anenome crab
    1 reef anenome
    1 bubble tip anenome
    4 separate frags of zoas
    2 frags of candy cane
    1 frag of Duncans
    Star polyps
    A forest of Kenya
    And cabbage leathers
    I'm sure I will have tons of questions to follow so thanks for having me on here.

2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

Hello and welcome to the fourm and hobby! I will let you know that your livestock is ok aside from the blue tang. Blues get really really big (10"+ and some even bigger then 1'!) I would advise to move it out as they can grow pretty fast as well and require at least a 180 minimum. The same can be said about the butterfly fish but it depends on which one you have but they're generally peaceful and don't do well in an agreesive tank. Your clowns, filefish, blenny and damsels are fine but keep in mind that your damsels can be very mean and run the tank. being you have 2 theirs a possibility that you'll end up with just one.

4. jworks

jworks Plankton

The butterfly is a yellow long nose. I had a problem with worms when I got the tank as with aiptasia. That is why 8 got the file and the butterfly, as with the shrimp. The family I got the tank from had the eel in it and did not keep it clean. The 2 damsels had issues for the first week, but now they have taken separate areas of the tank and seem to be ok, but thinking of getting rid of the velvet anyways. It seems to be a tank bully with the blenny. As for the hippo, I knew about its size it can grow to. It was a purchase for the wife. Figured I could trade it off when it gets bigger and she is happy for now. Thanks for the advice. I'm looking to add more colorful coral that would work well.

5. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

the butterfly might be ok but I'll let someone else awnser that because I'm not familiar with them. I will say that if you nicer corals the butterfly and the filefish could pose as a problem. I've always had good luck when I had mine but you always run that chance. same goes for the butterfly but seeing as you have some stoney corals already I don't think you'll have any problems in the future. always be mindful because I recently just got a pygmy angel fish and it started to munch on my new orange pie pectinia frag :(

6. jworks

jworks Plankton

I had a zoa polyp detach, as I found it, I tried to recover it and lost it in the current. Next thing I see is the file fish grab it and head towards the rocks. Never saw it again. But the both leave everything else alone. They have enough food, I try to keep everything happy.:(:(