new to the hobby

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Skip Bowser, Aug 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Skip Bowser

Skip Bowser Plankton

Setting up a 36 gallon aquarium. Curing my rock now and looking for some advice. First I have the rock covered and already getting algae growth. Is that normal? Also I have 1 powerhead that moves about 700gph. Do I need 2 power heads? Would appreciate any advice on equipment, fish and corals and Invertebrates
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef, algae growth is normal on new rock in new tanks. It is part of the nitrogen cycle. If you want to keep corals, you will more than likely need more powerheads. I would say aim for 50X turnover rate. Turnover rate is calculated by taking all the flow (in gallons per hour) of pumps in your tank and dividing by the tank volume. Currently you're at a turnover rate of 19X. I would add another 1000gph-1200gph powerhead and call it a day.

zesty likes this.
  4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

welcome welcome & welcome.

Like VA spoke, you'll want some flow, but it sounds like you're on your way!

What kind of lights are you plowing?

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Welcome to 3Reef!

zesty likes this.
  6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

welcome, indeed youll want more flow if you plan to keep corals. also it is generally agreed to have several small pumps to creat flow is better than a single large one. this is not only to spread out the flow in your tank but also to creat random currents more easily. as mentioned it would be good to know what lighting you are using too. how far into the cycle are you?

zesty likes this.
  7. Skip Bowser

Skip Bowser Plankton

Thanks to all of you for responding. I'll be using a coral life t5 light. Also Besides the live rock and sand I'm getting a canister Fluval 206 filter and using a protein skimmer, will that be enough? I bought the tank and stand used and there isn't enough room for a sump. From what I've read I shouldn't have more than 5 or 6 fish? What would be some easy corals and fish to start with?

zesty likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

i would advise against a canister. a deep sand bed, lots of live rock, a good skimmer and mechanical filter will be the back bone of your filtration system. stocking low is always better (but not always easy). in terms of corals you could try with some:

clavularia
    palys
    toad stool
    maybe some mushrooms (in my exp. ricordias are not all that easy)

as you progress and become more and more experienced about saltwater system (especially chemistrey and lightning) look into:

toch coral (lps)
    montipora digitata
    stylophora
    cup corals

zesty likes this.
  10. Swisswiss

and when you think youve reached "master" level ask Corailline to show you some of her acros and be ready to question yourself all over again.....

p.s shout out to all the other extreamly talented reefers on here too

Piano10 and zesty like this.
  11. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Welcome, I believe you will find this forum to be helpful to a newer reefer, as I did. (More discussion, less blowhard "frag measuring" if you get what I'm saying lol.

oldfishkeeper, zesty and mdbostwick like this.
  12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

The cannister filter goes back a ways. I started with a canister filter and it was fine for a FOWL. However, you said coral and that's the step into the deep end.

Canisters need frequent cleaning and we're talking the tune of when you do a bi monthly water change, you should be cleaning out the cannister filter. So, they are fine, if you're up to the task of the extra maintenance. Most people, myself included, are not and that's exactly where Swissswiss is coming from :D

You can read up on protein skimmers and that would be a great next step in names of major equipment. They are not 100% necessary, but you'll find a lot more reef tanks running one than not.

Swisswiss likes this.