New to the hobby

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Partsman19, Apr 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Partsman19

Partsman19 Plankton

Hello,

First of all I would like to say HI and just say I need help!! I have had a 28 gallon salt water aquarium for some time so I am not really a newbie to the hobby but I am about to engage in my first drilled aquarium with sump. The aquarium is a 90 gallon Aqueon aquarium that is drilled on the bottom. My list of questions are thus: (1) I have no clue how to plumb the aquarium to the sump. (2) To try and save some money I am going to build a sump out of a 30 long aquarium. I pretty much understand how to build the sump from some information I have seen online. (3) I am open to suggestions on a protein skimmer -- was looking at a Bubble Magus BM180A, Aquamaxx ConeS1, and Reef Octopus Prime 150 INT-- have no idea about what return pump to us or what light to purchase. I would like to stay with LED as I have had good success with that type light on my 28 gallon aquarium.

The aquarium is the standard 48 x 18 x 24. I am going to be housing mostly soft coral (Xenia, mushrooms et cetera and fish.

If someone has a diagram of how to plumb the aquarium I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Glenn

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Glenn, welcome to 3Reef, and congrats on the upgrade!

There are actually several ways to plumb this.
    Most would say use a durso typed stand pipe, etc.

We'd like to see a picture of the area you're working with.'
    Does the drilled area also have an overflow?, etc.

Pics would help the most- start researching standpipes, etc.

You'll get all the advice and help you'll need right here.