New to SW

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by svb57, Mar 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. svb57

svb57 Plankton

HI! New to SW and would like opinions on what I will be putting together, since there is a lot of money involved want to make as few mistakes as possible...Yes I have been reading and there is lots of information that contradicts each other. Here goes:

125 All Glass aquarium that will be fitted for (2) 6 x 6 corner overflows - is this enough over flow?

Drilling for a 1.5" intake and a .75" return in each corner over flow - is this enough?

Drilling (2) .75" returns for a closed loop sysytem just in side the corner overflows and (1) .75" return in the middle of the back at the bottom to put in a PVC pipe behind the live rock to flush out the dead areas also will be using a SCWD and a Dolphin 2100 w/ a 1.5" intake - Comments?

150 punds live rock and 2.5 inches of live sand in the tank. - Enough or too much?

55 gallon All glass aquarium as sump with a Aqua C EV180 skimmer, mag 1800 pump, (2) titanium 250w heaters, a refugium that will have 2.5" of live sand, live rock, and macroalga lighted with PC (not sure if it will be 24/7 or on opposite time schedule of the tank). The water from the tank will come into the refugium via a tee to control flow - How much flow should there be through the refugium? The main amount of water from the tank will enter the sump through filter media and area for chemical filtration. With a fair amount of this water flowing over EFHI substrate from Eheim.

Lights for the tank will consist of (3) MH of either 250w or 400w (will have a mixed reef tank with soft, stoney and possibly clams). What other lights should be in the hood?

Future hope to install a C02 reactor

What am I missing, what equipment am I using that I shouldn't be?

Thanks for you time in advance and some day I hope to beable to reply to people like myself with comments that can help them into this world....

2. Click Here!

3. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

Welcom to 3reef.com your setup looks sweet I think you are on the right track just remember "slower you go farther you get" :) O and about the refu flow I have read that the best is to get 5 times the amount of water in the refu an hour so if you have 20 gal refu you should have 100gph turn over. Good luck and "Welcome"

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey sound like a great set up. I'm jealous.
    1.5" intake is killer you'll have a ton of flow through that.  The Closed loop sounds great as well as just about everything.
    You've done this before?????

In the Refugium you could go with a deeper Sand bed but that is about all I can suggest.

I think you meant to say CA Reactor but wrote CO2 Reactor and that would be for Fresh water

Love to hear how it all comes together.

You did forget one very important peace of hard ware.  A Digital Camera. :)

Jason

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Welcome to 3reef! I just love when someone spends time with me and LISTENS!! It was cool hanging out Sunday and you really have it down pat. Did your drill bits show up yet? have you gotten the plexi for the overflows? Thanks for signing up and stop in whenever you have a question or fire away here and let us all help you out!

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Karma given for detail great job!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

WoW!
    Sounds great. I'm jealous too! ;D

The only thing I wonder about is the dolphin 2100 and the scwd - what is the max flow on the dolphin pump? Check the scwd thread in the product review board, it maxes out somewhere past 1100 gph.

Welcome to 3reef!

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. svb57

svb57 Plankton

Thanks for all the input!!!

I have had FW for about 30 years now and have been researching SW for 2 months. OOOPS- I did mean CA reactor!

The refu will have approx 14 gallons in it.

Phil thanks again for spending the one on one time with me on Sunday. The acrylic was ordered today from McMaster-Carr. Couldn't find any one that carried black. The bulkheads wont be in unill Wednesday and at that time I will order the two drills I need. After the drills arirve the moment of truth, is the All Glass 125 tempered or not and can I have the patience to drill slowlllllly.

The dolphine 2100 is rated at 2100 gph at 7.5' of head. The SCWD is rated at a max of 1400 gph. I plan on regulating the flow to the SCWD by diverting some of the flow to the bulhead that will feed the PVC tubing under the base rock.

Question I stil have is, while the 1.5" bulkheads in the overflows will handle more then enough flow to the sump, will the (2) 6 x 6 overflows themselves be able to handle it?