new to SW. what do i need to look out for with these?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by billybaldwin3, Feb 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

i just ordered a 48" coralife quad t5 system.

54x4W

(2)10,000K
    (2) actinic
    (4) LED moonlights

i have a 55gal i'm putting them on.

i should be good to put about anything in it with this right?

also, is there anything i should know that i wouldn't think of with me being new to SW?

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I think you need to get a realistic goal in mind before you set anything up. I've seen your many posts , which isn't bad I encourage it , but you're going about this like there is one set answer to all these questions.

Your last question for instance... There are things I still don't know about in this hobby and I've been pretty passionate for over 4 years now. There are members here who have been in the hobby longer than I've been alive who still don't know everything.. You catch my drift. It's not as cut and dry as you may be hoping.I suggest you hang on, figure out what animals you want to keep, pitch them to us, and we can go from there.

Your other post about a fuzzy dwarf lion is my case and point . These fish are hardy but require certain things in their habitat and most important need to be kept in a species only tank dedicated to that type of fish.. Angler lions etc

You're in the right place, all the knowledge you could ask for and more is here at your fingertips. I personally think you should gear down and just plan it out more.

The t5 set up you have on a standard 55 would allow for most any coral to grow just fine. Sps higher placed, lps being placed mid to lower. Depends on the species you want to keep. Which brings me back to that...

Just take some time and read the forums in the new to hobby and all the other sub forums on here. If you put in that time, it'll show you wanna learn about the hobby, dearly, and you don't want to be the cool guy with nemo. You know. I hope you fulfill all your reefing wishes friend, and I will personally help as much as possible. I mean I just typed all that out on my phone , and it's midnight oh nine. Lol

4. billybaldwin3

hahaha.

i realize there is not any ONE correct anwer to any question, that's why i'm trying to ask questions. trying to learn what i need to know.

i used to breed african cichlids, so i get that there are many answers depending on several things, i'm just new to SW, and it's a completely different world.

5. billybaldwin3

oh, btw, i've read on several different sites that dwarf lions (i was thinking more about the zebra) can be kept with other fish than lions.

is this not true?

if i tried to keep one with "nemo" (haha) it would be a bad idea?

6. billybaldwin3

oh, and thanks, i will definitely go through the new to the hobby forums.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Keeping lionfish with another fish big enough to fit in its mouth will only end up as a meal. Its a predator by nature and while there cute and getting along now its the one day you don't see your clownfish anymore you realize you made a mistake. If you got lighting to support coral I wouldn't put any type of lionfish in the tank. Also, the bulbs in that fixture are not high quality. Look into ATI bulbs, I grew many corals with those bulbs. Good luck and do your research.

8. Click Here!

9. billybaldwin3

can u put ATI bulbs in this fixture?

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yes.

11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

So long as they are the right wattage and length. Yes

12. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Lionfish are often kept it communties and from what Ive read are actually very timid and need to be kept with other slwoer moving less aggressive fish that will not stress them out and cause their demise. Likewise, anything that CAN fit WILL fit into their mouth and if its on the edge of fitting they will try anyway. Message Renee or Greg from lionfishlair as they are our experts on their needs, feeding techniques, etc. I would assume even a dwarf with a regular ocellarus or percula nemo would be a no go as a male clown if just too small. A maroon clown would be ok but they are very aggressive and might kill the lion.

You will hear of success stories all the time but for every success there are many failures!! A lot of thigns can be kept together in really large tanks but no really in smaller setups. i would love to have multiple dwarf angelfish, if I had a 125gal or larger I would def try it but only have a 65gal would be homicide lol.