new to saltwater hobby

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by sheeler1993, Feb 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sheeler1993

sheeler1993 Plankton

Hey just got my biocube 29 from coral life set up a couple weeks ago and loving every second of it. I wanted to get on some forums that way i can ask questions as i go and get information so i can start getting knowledge about my reef tank I'm starting. i have 20lbs of live sand and 25lbs of live rock. would like to hear some input on the filtration of this tank. wondering about the intank media basket and fuge rack? is the fuge worth it in that small of an area or no? i do have the biocube protein skimmer but i just don't know if i have it set up right because the cup fills with water within hours. Thank in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

4. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

Welcome to 3reef

5. Reef G

Reef G Plankton

welcome to 3reef. You should be able to adjust your skimmer inlet so that it doesn't let so much water in. Also, over the first few weeks your skimmer will be breaking in to produce skimate as it is new. It'll function a lot better after that

6. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Welcome!

You may need to adjust the skimmer. You want to see a thicker liquid build up. Sometimes skimmers need playing with.

For your media basket most use floss and carbon regularly.

Change your floss 1x a week
    I highly recommend matric carbon which I change every 4-6weeks.
    There are other medias you can add later if need be like phosguard etc.

7. sheeler1993

sheeler1993 Plankton

thanks for the information on the skimmer i will try fiddling some more with it and hopefully get it to start working properly. and i have decided to go with the in tank media basket in the back instead of bioballs ordering that this week. thanks again

8. Click Here!

9. sheeler1993

sheeler1993 Plankton

another question for you guys i woke up this morning to my coral beauty dead but the three damsels were still alive could they have killed the coral beauty I'm really stumped because he was doing just fine last night before i went to bed ate when i gave them food and was swimming around and not showing any signs of being stressed

10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Whats your tank parameters? Id guess they died because your tank has yet to cycle?

11. sheeler1993

sheeler1993 Plankton

Parameters all all good It was the damsels well the more mature one I watched him kill another damsel just today so I am going to take the damsels back to the lfs and start off stocking the tank right this time now that I know to do so my candy cane and mushroom are doing great though so I know my water is good

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Tank is too small for a Coral Beauty. They are also known to nip corals. I would research everything before adding it. Saying your parameters are good really does not help. It is better to list them. Did the tank cycle?

Piano10 and civiccars2003 like this.