New to Salt Water.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Ryan Duchatel, Jun 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Hey Guys,

I have been keeping a 2' tropical tank for about 6 months now and I am really loving getting into the hobby.

I have decided to jump straight into salt water fish now with my new purchase of a 4' tank. I would like to keep both fish and some anemonies/ small amount of coral.

I would like some comments on the set up I would like to get:
    - Aquaone Marisys 240 Filter with Protein Skimmer (I like this because it is a canister instead of sump and I wouldn't have to plumb in a sump, which frankly scares me to death lol).
    - Aquaone Artic Chiller 1/6 300 (As the room I will put it in can get quite hot even with air conditioning).
    - Heto LED lighting.
    - 300W Heater
    - Sicce Voyager 2 Stream Pump
    and possibly a hang on refugium using miracle mud.

I am worried that using all these different things attached to the tank, and not using a sump is going to look abit messy?

Could anyone give me some hints on starting up a new aquarium and hints on this set up?

Thanks in advance guys and girls. ;D

Ryan.

2. Click Here!

3. warlord

warlord Bristle Worm

Im new as well and im using a hob filter and skimmer 2. It doesnt look 2 bad to me so go for it lol but from reading other posts wait a few months before you add anemones and corals

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Hey ryan, ryan here!;) Welcome to 3reef.

Honestly, you're building what I started with back in the day because I was afraid of stuff! After reading and learning, I'm super excited to say that I'm getting rid of that set up and just got a new tank that will have a sump/refugium. I can not wait to get that stuff out of my tank. I also can't wait to have the advantages of a sump.

While I agree it is a very scary thought to have a sump when ya get started, once you read up on it, it's really basic, and a TON less work than having a canister filter IMO

Just get a tank and have it drilled! This alleviates a lot of the disaster opportunities with a syphon overflow(although both are easy to problem solve). But if its drilled, you just pretest your set up, so if something fails you know all the water can be contained in the sump, and not your floors.

While i'm excited for you either way, I love my current tank, but can't wait to switch over, I think if ya research and read up on it, you'll really want to have a drilled tank with a sump/fuge;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I agree, I do not have a sump on my 46gallon due to space issues but can tell you next time I set up a SW tank it WILL have a sump attached.

Also research all those pieces of equipment individually to see rating and reviews. How well do they work and perform their function? Are they quiet or load? Big and bulky or slim? Do they work great for a few months then crap out or do people have it for years on end? I will say without looking a combo filter/skimmer prob isnt the way to go usually combo pieces of equipment dont perform either job extremely well.

If money is an issue, which with an expensive hobby like this usually it is, remember to not rush into anything just to get it up and going. Buy right the first time so you dont have issues and spend more money down the road. For now get the tank and stand, the powerheads and a hob filter, and the rock and sand. You do not need lights for the cycle and you do not need to run a protein skimmer (I believe most suggest agaisnt it) for the first few months while the tank is cycling and establishing either. A HOB filter is not needed but help greatly when first set up to remove all the small pieces of sand and rock that are common in new setups.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Damn well said! Especially about the money part! +1

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Thanks for the advice everyone. I definately appreciate it.

I shall definately look into getting a sump and maybe someone at the local aquarium might be able to drill it for me/ help me drill it.

I have read a fair bit about the benefits of the sump/fuge and completely agree they would be a better option, I dont think I would be able to set it up myself. Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do it?

Cheers Ryan.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

12. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Why thank you cosmo! I learned a lot since I started researching 6months or so ago figured I could help give back. I was hoping to do a small setup for a few hundred bucks and that budget quickly exploded to 1000+:eek: and I still am not done lol