new to me 72 gallon bow front

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by superpenguin112, Sep 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. superpenguin112

superpenguin112 Plankton

I just bought a used tank that was a reef tank. I want to know if the lighting that it came with is good enough for some softies and maybe some other lower light corals. it has a finnex CP light that holds 6 of the dual tube bulbs. also what brand and watt and K rating do you recommend?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

So this is a Finnex PC fixture correct?

Does it look like the fixture in the link?

Finnex Power Compact Fixture w/Bulb - Bulk Reef Supply

You can find bulb replacement at the link as well.

Typically you can grow most any soft and stony corals as well as a lot of inverts such as BTA (bubble tip anemones) under PC lighting. Some of the more sought after sps will grow but you may not get full coloration or optimal growth.

4. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

b/c i do not know the light that you are talking about, i will just say this, i have seen and been told by people in the hobby for 20 plus years that you can grown soft coral off of like a home depo light,

But for a reef tank you want about 3-4watts of light per gallon.

But also keep in mind if you use the lights that the tank came with you might not be able to go over to lps or sps corals in the further. You might want to buy a light fixture that you know can handle lps and sps b/c then you know your softies will be fine.

Hoped this helped

5. superpenguin112

superpenguin112 Plankton

No it doesn't look like that fixture at all its black and i have been looking every where for it online and i cant find it. the outside of it looks just like there led/t5 combo fixture but it is CP. it is 48 inchs long and has 3 CP bulbs on each end.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hmmm

Can you take an image of it and post it?
    Did you go to Finex site and look for it?

Or lastly you could edit the title of this thread and specifically ask about Finex fixtures. You could also just start another thread topic on the fixture it's self.

Congrats on the the new tank.

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

A pic of a bulb would be helpful too so we can see if it's a standard straight or square pin setup and the wattage of the bulb (should be around 65watts per bulb).If so,yes you can replace the bulbs with new ones that will grow lots of corals,however the cost of replacing the bulbs would be more than halfway into just buying a better light.