New to LED lighting

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Forestisskiing, Dec 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Forestisskiing

Forestisskiing Astrea Snail

I am new to LED lighting. I have found some grow lights. But i dont know much about lumens or wavelength. These are the specs I have on the light im thinking about purchasing.. .
    Blue LED Lumen5.55 Lux x 112 LEDs (621.5lux in total)White LED Lumen6.93 Lux x 113 LEDs (784lux in total)Blue LED Wavelength450nm
    LEDs Diameter5mm
    Is this enough for a 49 gallon reef tank?

Many thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

can you post a link to them?

1 person likes this.
  4. Forestisskiing

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I would not buy those! There's a reason people drop about $150 bare minimum to light up there tank of that size, and thats bare minimum and for a DIY build! And for 225 leds, that's weak output! Alot of issues there, not even sure it would keep a plant alive! Sorry, just alot wrong with that for a reef! Maybe for fish only tank, but even then, you really don't know much about those lights!

6. Forestisskiing

Thanks. All descriptions of LED lights are very vague. I dont understand lumens. With MH and compact flos. Watts per gallon. Is there any site to explain it to me? :confused:

7. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

I've heard in some people's review for this light panel that their plants are dying under them, You can do an experiment to prove that to you, but it's not worth it, most likely ur corals will die,, even softies.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

10. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

+1 to above statements, I am taking the LED plunge as well, and want to do it right! make sure you really do your home work, I have been researching for about 1 1/2 months to find the right led at the best price. DIY will probably be the cheapest route, and if you buy things like modular led kits, where they are solderless, you can always add on or take off you know?

11. evora

evora Plankton

10 frag tank

Would this light be ok for a 10 frag aquarium?