New Tank Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Bangbang, Mar 12, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

I currently have a 29 gallon Fish/Invert tank with some Shrooms that has been up for 7 months now. I want to setup a larger Fish Only Tank.anywhere from 55 to 85 gallons. I need to keep this as inexpensive as possible at this time but would like to use a refuguim and sump in the future. I will be keeping a Snowflake Eel,Lions(dwarf if a 55) and a FoxFace. I am looking for suggestions for my filtering system.....other than Liverock. I will be adding Liverock slowly. Could I just use a powerfilter and my Eheim Canister? I may have to move this tank within several months. :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i dont see any problem using what you have the ehime should work ok and curious what pwr filter do you have?

4. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

I am currently using a aquaclear 300 on my 29 gallon and it is doing very well. I am thinking of tryin out the Skilter 400 on the new tank....along with my Eheim Canister.

5. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Hey Bangbang,

What kind of Eheim canister is it? I think I would leave off the Skilter. Just get a couple of powerheads for circulation. That would be much better than a Skilter, IMO.

If I intended to set up a 55g FOWLR, I would have the Eheim, LR, DSB, and a good protien skimmer. I would also have some powerheads for circulation. IME, this is going to be the best bang for your buck with a "predator" type tank.

But the fish you are talking about are very messy. And they are fair size fish. You are going to need a good protien skimmer to keep them healthy. You don't have to break your bank account, but you do need to get a good one.

6. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

[quote author=Wrassman link=board=Fish;num=1047530716;start=0#3 date=03/13/03 at 09:43:57]Hey Bangbang,

What kind of Eheim canister is it?  I think I would leave off the Skilter.  Just get a couple of powerheads for circulation.  That would be much better than a Skilter, IMO.

If I intended to set up a 55g FOWLR, I would have the Eheim, LR, DSB, and a good protien skimmer.  I would also have some powerheads for circulation.  IME, this is going to be the best bang for your buck with a "predator" type tank.

But the fish you are talking about are very messy.  And they are fair size fish.  You are going to need a good protien skimmer to keep them healthy.  You don't have to break your bank account, but you do need to get a good one.[/quote]

I have one of the Professional Models (no heater). I do not remember what model number and I do not see the number on the pump. The Skilter does have a skimmer. I was checkin out the Backpacks and the New Seaclone Models. Many of the LFS I go to use them on their tanks and they work great? I also like the Tornado action......looks real cool LoL How did you set up your sandbed?

7. Wrassman

Hey again Bangbang,

I like your new avatar!!! ;D

I know the Skilter has a skimmer in it. It is just not a good one. Now, if you get a BakPak, that is a very different story. CPR BakPak is a great skimmer for what you are doing. It would be just fine for your set up. [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

I would stay away from the SeaClone, too. I know too many people who have had too many problems with them. They just do not deliver the skimming they promise.

As for the sandbed, I would use aragonite sand, the 2-3mm stuff. I wouldn't wash it, as the really fine stuff is good for going all the way to the bottom. I would put about 4" in the tank, add my water (it will be very, very cloudy), and a powerhead for circulation, add my live rock, and start letting the thing cycle. You could add a large shrimp from the grocery store to help speed things along (that is really stinky, but it does help speed up the process). I wouldn't worry about filtration for a while, just let the cycle run.

Any more questions, you know where to find me!!! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

Ok..so you only have aragonite on the bottom? No screen or underground filter. The sandbed I was looking at uses a plastic screen and a underground filter plate supported eith pvc pipe. I like the idea of not using that stuff because I usually end up with some sifters or burrowers in my tanks.

10. Wrassman

NO!!! You definitely do not want an undergravel filter in your tank! They suck waste and detritus under the sand bed and cause major problems. We used to use them 25 years ago when that was about all we had. But, the technology has come a LONG way since then. Definitely put your sand on the bottom of your tank. And put your live rock in and on that sandbed. That is the way we do it now.