New Tank, new sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Stingray, May 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Im due to swap tanks in the next week or 2, its been set up for a year now, but whenever i read about swapping tanks the only thing that plays with my mind is suggestions to swap out the old sand for new, why is this can someone please elaborate, surely i would be ridding beneficial bacteria not to mention bristle worms and other beneficial small inverts?

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I rinsed my shallow sand bed from my old tank in saltwater and then right into my new tank. I would not do this with a deep sand bed due to possible built up gases. How old and deep is the sandbed?

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I'm doing same thing. I've read it's better to start new with sand so nothing is built up in ikd sand. It's not worth brining in old sand nutrience

1 person likes this.
  5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I think one of the concerns with a deep sandbed is the possibly of anaerobic bacteria in the deeper parts. Anaerobic generate dangerous toxins and you don't want them released too quickly.

6. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Sand is around 1 1/2" deep less in some places
    It's 1 year old
    Maybe I could do half and half

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Rinse your sand in salt water and put it in the new tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Yup. In this specific case, don't let horror stories scare you. Just rinse it real good in saltwater (you can just use the water from the tank you are draining) and you will be fine. Should be obvious but don't dump that water into your new tank ;)

10. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Nothing horror about it, but old sand beds harbor some really bad things and it is much safer to seed a new bed with some sand than run the risk of creating a horror story.

1 person likes this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

His sand bed isn't old enough or deep enough to harbor anything bad. If anything it will be good as to add established beneficial bacteria to a new system.

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

My limited understanding is that it takes a deep (4") sandbed for anaerobic bacteria to exist. Also very fine sand would allow it's growth easier. Even if there is some anaerobic in there, I would guess that a rinse would remove the toxins.