New Tank, New Questions

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Riddler05, Sep 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Riddler05

Riddler05 Plankton

Hey Everyone,

Background: I started in this hobby a little over a year ago. In order to keep the cost down (or at least I thought) I decided to start small with an AIO Biocube 29G. During the past year I have fallen in love with this hobby and have decided it is time to upgrade. I started searching Craiglist and found a great deal on a 90G system with equipment. The plan is for an SPS dominated tank.

Equipment:
    Tank: 90G Reef Ready
    Sump: Pro Series Wet/Dry Filter (similar to this: http://www.sealifesystems.com/AquaPro-Wet-Dry.html)
    Protein Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 5
    Light: Coralife Aqualight Elite 2x250W HQI and 2x96W PC
    Controller: I have an Apex controller that will be transferred to this tank when the old one is completely taken down.
    ATO: Again I have one that will be transferred to this tank once the old tank is completely taken down.

Stocking (I will be moving all the fish I already have in two other tanks into this tank and then probably get some additional fish):
    Black and White Ocellaris clown
    Wild Type Ocellaris clown
    Pink Streaked Wrasse
    Banggai Cardinal
    Yellow Watchman Goby
    Kole Tang (Maybe?)
    2-3 Wrasses (Maybe?)
    1-2 Convict blennies (Maybe?)

Questions:
    1. I have been told I should remove the bioballs. Is there any other filtration I should run on this tank instead of the bioballs? I have a protein skimmer but should I have a biopellet reactor or something else? I tend to be a heavy feeder and had major algae problems in my last tank, but hopefully I will be able to maintain cleaner water in the new 90G compared to the 29G I currently have running.

2. Do people recommend biopellets or liquid carbon dosing?

3. Do you think the light will be strong enough for an SPS tank?

4. Am I missing anything? I want to keep this tank simple, but I also want to try an keep the nutrients as low as possible. In my last tank I had a major problem with algae.

zesty likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

1. IMO, yes remove the bio-balls. Your skimmer seems sized about right. I would see if you can retrofit a fuge section and put some live rock/macro algae (cheato) in there.

2. I currently run a GFO reactor from time to time to control excess waste, only for limited times. I've never biopellets, so I cannot comment. I've done both the carbon dosing and used Red Sea's NoPox with good results. However, that is something I didn't want to dose long-term.

3. I believe your light should be good enough for SPS. I would let others chime in on that.

4. Take it slow. Don't add any new fish other than your current stock. Then add new ones slowly, 1 a month approx. Use RO/DI water at all times. Just keep up on the water changes and that will be your main source of nutrient export.

Have fun and post some pictures!!

Billme likes this.
  4. timkatz71

timkatz71 Astrea Snail

SLOW!!
    Lighting is enough, but may create a bit of heat.
    I also run GFO, as well as bio pellets, the bio pellets are costly, but I can say that I do notice a bit of difference, skimmer (three different types) have had quite a bit of difference when running althought it does not happen overnight, but if you take it off you will notice a difference quickly

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The more fish you add the harder it will be to maintain.Fish are filthy animals.DO NOT OVERSTOCK or your tank will turn into a chore instead of a hobby.;)

zesty likes this.