new tank new fish.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Blazinfire, Jan 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

hey everyone. most people has read most of my posts i'm sure. but i figured i would ask this question in the correct board just because i think i'm just being to cautious about this tank setup.

tomorrow i'm planning on buying 4-6 Serpae tetras also known as red minor tetra's. to add to my uncycled tank for the cycling process. can someone confirm if this fish is hardy enough to help the process for starting the tank? just trying to get some final suggestions before i go to bed since i'm going first thing.

if there is any other suggestions please let me know. maybe i'm just being to cautious about setting up this tank. i dunno. but i wanna make sure i have everything to the precise plan make sure its all correct.

also i'm not sure of the exact number of which i should add these. i was thinking 4-6 would be ideal

2. Click Here!

3. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

freshwater tank i am guessing. those should work, there are others that are alittle hardier, danios (sp) are good starters. if the tank is smaller then 30 gal i would do more then 3

4. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

its a 38 gallon tank. i was actually considering 6. because research has said that they like to be in group's of 6 or more. of course that would be nice if they all lived. but i do plan on adding different fish after the cycling process is finished.

and yea its freshwater tank other type's of tanks will have to wait til I'm fully experienced in this hobby which I'd love to have coral which i think my self looks amazing.

thanx for the suggestions. danios was my 2nd idea actually. but u said the red minor tetra's will be fine :)

5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

serpaes are hardy lil guys. they will fare well curing the cycle. and keeping them in a school of 6 o more is a better bet that in threes.

6. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

hey guys figured i'd give ya an update. its been almost a week now i put 5 Serpae tetras in the 38 gallon tank. all 5 are still alive :D seem to be doing fine. cant wait for the cycling process to be done to add more fish :D need to make sure they get along with the 5 tetra's. i hope they stick around :)