New Tank Mixing Salt

Discussion in 'Salt' started by ao72689, Dec 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Hello all,

I have a 90g SW tank i am just beginning to get into. The filtration system was set up by my LFS so that should be good. The tank itself is up and running. I just started to add salt (he said add 2 of the 4 salt bags). I am putting the salt into the sump which is underneath my tank, however, I am getting a lot of salt ending up sitting on the bottom of my sump, not moving. Is this normal?

Also, the water in my tank itself is getting cloudy, is this normal? Should I stop adding salt or continue to add the two bags but let the water circulate in the tank?

Thanks for your help!

2. Click Here!

3. macabe

macabe Purple Spiny Lobster

stir the salt or put a power head in your sump the salt will desovle over time even if you dont but it makes it faster if its stired and it is normal for the tank to get cloudy depending on your salt brand but usuallly its 1/2 cup of salt per gallon

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

How many gallons does each beg make? I've always added my salt to a mixing bucket and done it slowly allowing all of the salt to dissolve before adding any more.

5. razataz

razataz Bristle Worm

i just did this yesterday I also used two bags. I pured about a quarter of a bag in at a time every half hour in my sump I installed a k4 pump in the sump temporarily to mix up the salt