new tank ideas

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by mushroom_man, Feb 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    well im going to be getting a bigger tank when i get my tax return, and i was wondering...

i wanted a 37 gallon but the light i wanted to put on it may melt the cross support at the top. (70 watt m/h)

the other option is a 29, but i dont know about the space. i wanted something larger... (like the thirty seven)

my question is, would the m/h melt the center brace at the top of the tank? (37g) because the tank is actually the perfect size and i dont want to spend more money on getting more t-5 and running just the t-5 set up...

any suggestions?;D

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

You should be fine... Your MH should be more than a couple of inches above water so you wont have any problems with heat.

Marc.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

If you feel that their will be an issue with the melting, you have two options:
    Place a fan across the top to dissipate the heat.
    Raise the metal halide higher above your tank, say 5-6 inches or so.!
    Congrats on geting the new tank, let us know which on you decide to go with!

5. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Not going to take any "legal" responsibility, but I think you should be fine. I have 350W just a few inches above my brace and nothing has happened in the last 7 months. Sure, they are a littl off to the side, but they still put out enough heat.

6. mushroom_man

rofl!!! legal resposibility!!!;D well thats good to know, it was just put into my mind by one of my trusted lfs's (i only have 2 that i trust);D

so it shouldnt be a prob? because i asked them to make a taller canopy and they said it wouldnt be a problem to have a taller canopy made, but the whole melting the center brace thing came up.

7. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

If they'll make a taller canopy, that would be nice. Considering you are running a 29G tank, you may want to go up to 200W+ in the future for SPS. This definitely may cause heat issues and the extra space would be nice for the light and the necessary fans. Good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Good luck with the new tank!! But why not go with a 150 watt MH?? It is like 50 bucks more, and will light the tank that much better. The 37 will be deep right? Ive been looking at some pics, and they are all deep tanks. If you want clams on the bottom, or sps you mite wanna think about more light, :) . Just a thought. I cant wait to see this tank goin!! It is alway fun to start over and build bigger!

10. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

:lol: I must be getting slow at the key board!!

11. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

I recieved a large tank before that the center part was removed. So I just took some wood about 1inch or so measured it to the length of the tank. Then I got some L clamp things screwed them in the wood. Then placed it on top of the tank. Presto no more worrying about bowing of the tank. So If your center thing melts you could always do this. I have had a problem with the plastic melting before. I had a 120w bulb about 1inch above the plastic part and it melted it badly. So if you are going to have one over the center part make sure you have it off it atleast 6inch if not more if possible. I will add a picture i drew real fast for you.

Attached Files:

12. mushroom_man

ty you guys!

birchell where did you find a 150 at?