New tank help

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by cstevens, Oct 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cstevens

cstevens Plankton

I have been doing some research about purchasing a new tank system.

I don't have a lot of space and I pretty much narrowed it down to the 24G Nano Cube Deluxe and the Oceanic BioCube (39 gallon).

I think I am leaning towards the BioCube. Does anyone have any experience with either of these tanks? Is one more quality than the other? They are similar in price and size I kind of like the look of the Nano but it might be too small.

Also what would be most fish I could fit into a 29 gallon?

btw I am going with freshwater (if it wasn't obvious).

Thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

They will both be awesome systems for a fresh water tank. Both have built in wet/dry filtration and great lighting. I would make your decision based on what type of fish you would like to keep. You will obviously be more limited with the 24G to a small community fish tank. With the 39 it will open up your choices a bit more.

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I have the Biocube 29, is that the one you're looking at? I don't think they make a 39 model. I love my tank and it's really easy to take care of.

5. cstevens

cstevens Plankton

sorry yes.... that was a typo. I meant the 29 gallon Biocube.

Someone from another forum was telling me to try and buy it used (craigslist, ebay) as opposed new. Is that a good idea for a newbie? I feel like I wouldn't know what to look for in case something was missing.

@anpgp how long have you had your biocube and have you had any problems with it?

@mikejrice thanks for the feedback. I definitely want to go for a larger tank although space seems to be an issue.

thanks

6. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

Craigslist.org would be a great idea but make sure you can see the tank up and running to be sure that everything works properly. If you setting up a new fresh water tank you should look into getting african cichlids they are very pretty and interesting to watch. We have two tanks with them and love it!

7. Jane Fury

Jane Fury Plankton

The BioCube has been a VERY popular setup! I would go with that. Not only would you get LOTS of help and support from those that already have one (such as anpgp) But due to it's popularity, it will be easier for you to find any replacement parts you may need for any future repairs.

When dealing with the "how many fish" question: The general rule of thumb is: 1" of fish per gallon. If you stick with this rule, you will- for the most part- know how many fish you can put into your tank. Remember that some fish spend ALL their time on the bottom when some fish spend ALL their time swimming at the top, so if your looking into a community tank, you may want to research your options.

Amazon.com: The 101 Best Tropical Fishes: How to Choose & Keep Hardy, Brilliant, Fascinating Species That Will Thrive in Your Home Aquarium (Adventurous Aquarist Guide) (9781890087937): Kathleen Wood: Books

This is a GREAT starter book for stocking questions! It even goes into themes!

8. Click Here!

9. cstevens

cstevens Plankton

Thanks for the feedback. Just to catch you up to speed.

I made a purchase on craigslist and it turned out to be a waste.

I recently purchased the 24 Gallon Nano Cube from allmypetsupplies.com

I found a coupon (code:GreatCustomerService) online which helped with the purchase I believe it was 5 or 10% off.

I just received it and I will post some pics once I have it up and running.

champ.