New tank advice please

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Sd126, Sep 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sd126

Sd126 Plankton

Hello,

I am just in the verge of getting my first marine tank, I just wanted to know what people's opinions are on the aquareef 400, my LFS (local fish shop yes?) has offered to help me and I do have a good relationship with them as they also do reptiles which I also keep. They recommended it when I said I wanted a larger tank, offered it for about £1300.

The goal would be for a full reef tank. The tank says it comes with 'all technical equipment'. Probably have to get some extras anyway I'd guess. Has an optional upgrade to led lighting from t5 that I intend in taking (can I mix 10000 kelvin and 20000 kelvin for a more full spectrum?)

So, in summary, any thoughts on the make of tank, recommendations for better but similiar, any known issues etc.

Thank you

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I'm not familiar with that specific tank, but many of the "all in one" tanks or kits only offer the basics. It sounds like it could be a good setup but without knowing the specifics, it's hard to say. Whether LEDs are an upgrade to T5s is debatable, I've used T5s but not LEDS. I've been out of the hobby for the past few year but it seems LEDs have come a long way. I haven't used them, but am interested to see how they compare to other lighting types.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef. :)

Take an image of the tank, perhaps that would give us a better idea of the specific tank type, brand.

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

What they said^^ I almost bought a 220gal full setup until I started looking into the parts list. Usually they come with basic equipment. Not sure about Aquareef at all though. I ran T5's on my 75gal and had great results.

6. Sd126

Sd126 Plankton

I can't actually go and view the setup so I've gathered some available images from online:

Each model is supplied fully assembled with built in overflow weir, plumbing and pipe work as well as a purpose designed sump. The sump houses all the essential equipment needed to run a marine system. This includes a circulation pump, filtration media, heater and efficient protein skimmer, there is plenty of room to get as technical as you like. The all new patented lighting system provides the essential lighting requirements for most reef keepers.

Purpose designed for saltwater tanks, Complete marine set up.
    Built-in sump and all technical equipment included
    Efficient pump driven protein skimmer
    Patented T5 lighting system
    Cabinet made from non-corrosive alloy frame and plastic panels
    Cabinet delivered preassembled Pipework preassembled
    Technical Specification
    Total water volume 400l
    Heating 2 x 200watt
    Lighting 4 x T5
    Sump filter

Aquarium size 132 x 52 x 73cm high
    Cabinet 132 x 52 x 88cm high
    Aquarium, Cabinet and equipment in black finish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apparently it also come with bioballs?

Thank you

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Appears to be a fairly complete setup. The 4-lamp T5 will grow any coral you wish so long as standard bulbs are replaced with high-end ATI tubes. A popular combo is 2-Coral Plus and 2 Aqua Blue Special. Would love to see a pic and/or specs on the LED, though; considering that it's an optional upgrade, that may be the way to go.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's a nice setup, equipment looks efficient as well. Do a mix of T5 and led and you'll be very happy.

10. Sd126

Sd126 Plankton

Thank you all

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Looks good to me! Toss the bio balls though