New T5 Fixture for 110G Mixed Reef

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by andywyeth07, Oct 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

I picked up an Aquatic Life RS7 HID fixture last night off of Craigslist. I plan on ordering some new ATI T5 bulbs tonight. I plan on getting (2) Coral Plus and (2) Blue Plus.

My question is, is (4) 54w T5s and (2) 150w HIDs enough light for a 30" tall tank? I have a few SPS frags near the top of the tank. Approx. 8" below the surface of the water. Towards the middle of the tank is a bunch of zoas and LPS coral.

How long should I run the (2) HIDs per day?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That should be plenty of light, but switching from LEDs, probably not overpowered. I would run the T5s at 10hrs/day, and start the HIDs at 4 then bump them up 1/2hr per week until you get to 6 - 8/hrs.

Most importantly, keep a close eye on your corals. They'll let you know if they're getting too little or too much light. :)

4. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

I ended up replacing the bulbs with ATI ones. Went blue+ coral+ blue+ coral+ however I just went down to our LFS and picked up another blue+ and think I finally found the color combo I'm looking for. Next I will be replacing the halides not sure which ones I'll get yet.

I've been running the T5s form 8 to 8 but only running the halides for 2 hours. I'm going to start bumping the halides up. My frog spawn isn't reacting well or it may be because I had the heater unplugged all night (accident) dropped to 76.4 by the time I caught it.