New Sump needed

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jason McKenzie, Jan 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

OK let me explain.
    My First tank and stand was a 72G Bow front and therefore the stand was very narrow and tall. Because of this I had a sump custom built for the stand. I now have a 75G rec with the matching stand. There is no way I was able to fit my sump in the stand but through the top (With the Tank off the stand) Now I have this very narrow and tall sump in the stand and it is not really doing the job. I have placed my Red Sea Berlin in the sump because if it hangs on I can't get the cup off. Now do to evap through out the day, My skimmer is loosing what ever efficiency it had (Very Little) so I Would like to get a or make a Bullet style skimmer. But first I have to ensure my sump will not reduce the effectiveness of this skimmer as well. So I have two choices. 1) add Baffles to existing sump and build a mini bullet. Or 2) cut my current sump out and built a new sump in the stand.
    You can see were my hesitation is. I'm not a DIY guy and as a first project I'm going to build a large acrylic box, that needs to be water tight, in a very confined space. ;)
    What do you Think. go simple and add baffles or get brave and make a really sweet sump that may turn into a nightmare

J

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Why not fix the evap problem with a float switch first?
    Every skimmer I have ever owned gets screwy from evap.

(where did your avatar go?)

4. Jason McKenzie

I don't know it just poof. I fixed it.

But adding a float switch dosn't let me cut and glue and make a big mess. I really want to get ride of the Berlin and upgrade. I don;t have room to do that now

J

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Did you do the Venturi Mod for the Berlin? - Adding a 'kent-marine' venturi and using a Mag 7 or something?

6. Jason McKenzie

I was thinking about it. Need to find the mod with pics. As I'm kinda dumb and need a pic.

I was visiting a friend/Vendors personal Tank and if you had your eyes closed you wouldn't even know he had a Tank it was that quite. I want that! he had closed loops, Bullet Skimmer (DIY) 4 power heads, and two returns and it was dead quite. I took pics of his sump and I really think the sound or lack of sound was because of the design of his sump and its ability to handle all the equipment he had in it.
    In another words it's cold and rainy here and I really need a project. Especially after seeing Omard's new set up it's making me all jealous for and upgrade.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'll dig up some pics for you...

What made his so quiet?
    What kind of pumps did he have?
    Was he using bed foam in the stand to dampen the noise? [smiley=vulcan.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

No foam, and all the pumps were Mark 7 or 12. There just wasn't any water gergle sounds. I think all the pumps were external so they could have been mounted on somthing that was dampening the sound. I'll check it out this week end. He has offered to help

J

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What kind of overflows?
    Take pics! :)

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Oh, Jackets you have triggered my interest.

I also need a new sump (am already unhappy with my "tub" which I have not even set up to use yet.)

Have looked about at prices for sumps - all cost prohibitive now for one size I want. Esp. if I need to have shipped...need ~40 X 18 X 15 to fit in stand and leave enough room for other stuff (ballast, overflow container, etc.)

Have communicated with a "local" sump manufacturer - (somewhat "local" for you - at least out of the 17.5% sales tax zone) - you may want to look at.

"Innovative Aquarium Products"

http://www.innovativeaquarium.com/

(Seattle)

He is "working" up estimate - but my "impression" is still going to more then I am ready to pay.

So thoughts of building own now in process. Like you, am dealing with many unknowns here. Local glass shop will cut me the pieces I need for about $150 out of 1/4" clear plexiglass (is that thick enough? - how to "glue" them together? - Is this something I really want to risk doing myself? - is the satisfaction of doing so, worth all the "imagined" possible catastrophies - just might be.

Needs some cogitating.

Will keep eye on what your plans are.

Rgds,

OmarD

12. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

one suggestion i have is look for guys that work with acrlic other then a glass shop and see what they can do. Another suggestion is talk to lfs and maint companies to see if they have someone to do custom work.