new skimmer question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Travis, Apr 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis

Travis Astrea Snail

I bought a new aquac remora with the maxi jet 1200 and I cant figure out why it takes so long for it to start working? What does it do to the water that makes it eventually work. I have had it running a couple days now and the bubbles are almost getting into the holding contaner. I guess its just one of those misteries.

Should I aslo run a hob filter with my skimmer or is the skimmer ok by itself?
    65lbs of lr

Thanks for any help.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Skimmers take a while to scum up and break in. Especially that one. I had that one. It took a little while. You don't need an external unless you want to polish the water more.

New tank?

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All the oils and chemicals used in the process of the manufacturing of the plastics requires a week or more even sometimes to slime over or wear off . Just set the water level and let it ride .. As Matt suggested .

5. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Give it time it will start collecting any day now new skimmers need to break in slime over etc.;D

6. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

7. Travis

Travis Astrea Snail

The tanks been running for five or six months now. I finally added a damsel after three months fishless because of brooklynella killed my clowns. My new fish will be quarantined.