New Sicce Voyager Powerhead Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by rocketmandb, Feb 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Do the sicces voyagers have a guard to keep fish and critters from getting in them while the power is off? Having a small fish get chopped up by a wavemaker turning it on while a critter is in there is about my only concern, outside of being able to mount these to a big magnet for us thick sided aquarium users.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How did I miss this? :eek:
    Great review and pro pics. Next time you do something like this send me a note so I can highlight on the homepage. I will tweet it now.
    K+

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Both this thread and the review i posted have quite a few pictures. I would think it would have to be a very small fish to get inside the holes in the Voyager.

5. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Yeah, since the "bomb" was dropped about the SQWD's knocking down 30% flow, this is interesting me more & more. Tunze, I agree are head of the class. Like most things in that category though, that includes mucho $$$.
    If the Sicce do turn out as reviewed or somewhat better, that would be something to try. My poor old Koralias have taken a beating. I've got a nano, a 2, 3 & 4. They're good, but agree with the bulkyness and ability to reach areas where you want flow (issues). Koralias are a good product for the price, but if they make these improvements in craftsmanship while keeping price, now that would be great!!
    Good stuff guys...thank you!!

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I think the new Koralia Evolutions are taking care of much of the bulkiness and will run on a on-off wavemaker.
    Has anyone tried Tunzes on an on-off type wavemaker and not the Tunze controller that soft starts the motors? Are they quiet and do they stand up to the constant starting and stopping? We know they work well on their controller but is is a different application.
    My only problem with the Vortec MP seres is they cannot be rotated and aimed like the others. I like my powerheads in the back corner but want them facing more to the front rather than at my pile of live rock.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I think how much the SCWD reduces flow dpends on the pump powering it. I don't think the quiet ones are hampered much by a SCWD, but if my non scientific observations are anywhere near the true flow ratings, the flow was reduced close to 50% on the mag9.5.

I don't think the original K's had any issue with craftsmanship, only in their size. The fact the new ones can do more with less watts, are smaller, and can be controlled easily only makes them that much better.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I started with a Quiet One 400o and it ran extremely hot on a SCWD. It eventually literally went up in flames and electrified my tank so bad the chiller ran non stop for two days before I discovered it. The flow was cut drastically by the SCWD, easily 25 to 30% as they advertise.
    I switched to an Ocean Runner 3500 and the chiller never ran after that, I eventually sold the 1/4HP chiller and cool by fans only today and stay 79-81 year round. I also switched from the SCWD to an Oceans Motions Squirt two way and thats when the flow restriction of the SCWD was really apparent, huge difference.

10. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

See...exactly what I'm talking about. Since I've been away from home, haven't been able to hang at the LFS. I just learned about the Koralia Evolution power heads from montecarloz thread & now from AZ. THAT sounds good! It's definitely in Koralias best interest to make tangible quality upgrading like to, "be able to rotate and aim like others". If they get good marks, I'd even be willing to try their version of a wavemaker. Something like that is affordable and sensible. Keep us updated......

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Weird, regarding the QO for you and its temp. I run mine externally and used my pyrometer on it to test temperature of it running.

It only gets to mid 90's for temp on the pump body.

12. KhensuRa

KhensuRa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Has anyone seen the new Sicce wavemaker that is coming out? I will try to find the web review i saw the other day.