New Shrooms!!!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Birchell, Jan 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Well I cant go to the LFS without getting a frag, lol. I got a nice rock with about 7 hairy shrooms for 30 bucks. These guys are better looking in real life than in the pics. And from the looks of the rock they spread fast toooo. Well injoy the pic,

Michael

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Nice cluster of shrooms and I love the corraline algae you have growing in your tank!

4. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

lol, thanks. It takes perfect water paramiters, high calcium, and tap water, lol.

5. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    blast! lol those are great looking!

6. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Ha, I know how much you like the mushrooms Monkey. So this one was for you lol. Hopfully ill get some lights on the 100g and get some started in ther, he he.

7. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    nice. i just discoverd last night that i had a red stripe (not the beer) mushroom in my pico last night. WOOO!!! corals reproducing! and those in the pic are going to go crazy in you tank. i thing those like moderate lighting more than low light. so i think you have them in a good spot. nice job!

8. Click Here!

9. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

thanks, yea I was reading they do like moderate to high light. They were in a frag tank with 400 watts of MH lighting and were fully open and happy ( all the other shrooms were small, dont other shooms bleach and die with to much light? ) So I did put them in the middle, but it is in the PC light dead spot :( . So Im gonna have to do some aquascapping and make the tank more " coral " friendly.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It all has to do with how you acclimate them(mushrooms) as to what detrimental effects the intense light will have on the mushrooms, much like any other coral.
    One thing that you will notice many times regarding mushrooms is that when their are alot of nutrients in your water column, your mushrooms will shrink, because they don't need to exert as much energy to draw in nutrients through their mitochondria. When you nutrients are exhausted(ie. do a wateer change) you will notice that your mushrooms will expand because of the limited nutrients in the water and to be able to fill their nutritional needs!
    It seems that light isn't as important as water parameters, for the success of mushrooms IMO!

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Red stripe!

I wish I had a Red Stripe(beer) and the mushrooms by similar name! Red Stripe(Jamaica) is awesome just very expensive!
    What?...ok just doing alittle advertising ::)
    It is amazing and awesome, the number of different types of mushrooms and colors/designs as well. The same could be said for the vibrant colors/combinations found in the zoos, button polyps also!!

12. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

I agree. I think mushrooms are a cool coral, and like xenia they will tell you what is going on in the tank. Ive still notices the shrooms do better in moderate light than low light. I had to move my blue stripe because the corner just wasnt doing it. After I moved them into more light they swelled up and stopped moving, lol.