New Setup...New Hobby!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Jokko453, Feb 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I wouldn't add anything for at least 3 months. I haven't, and my tank looks pretty clean (after 8 weeks). Just let the tank go through the process, set up it's natural filter, do it's own thing then do it. My levels have been pretty good for awhile, but I'm still waiting. Some say as soon as Ammonia and Nitrites are a 0 start adding stuff, but only bad things happen quickly in SW. It won't hurt to leave the cleanup crew out for a while. IMO.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Jokko453

Jokko453 Plankton

Karma to ya,

Im not running any lights....but Im getting a lot more algae even still, like this hairy stuff is all over one rock, and another rock is starting to get these small greenish brown things growing out, looks kinda like a small stem, bigger than any "hair"....should I just let it go?

1 person likes this.
  4. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Let's see what some of the "algae experts" have to say... like I said, I haven't had any algae yet so I don't know!!!
    *NOCK ON WOOD!!!!*

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  5. Jokko453

Jokko453 Plankton

uh ok sadness....So it was fun for 2 half weeks...but I just go orders to korea for a year tour...Its kinda pointless to keep going with the tank and I cant take it over with me....WTS stuff?

6. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Sounds like Diatoms, but i'll refer to someone with a little more experience. Mine did the same thing when I added my new live rock and it mini-cycled. Went away after a few days.

I added mine after I fully cycled, but have read it's ok after the first or second week. Would think your nitrate/nitrate levels would drive if it's ok or not.

Most of them are going to be on your rocks, not in the sand unless you get Narcissus snails. Mine stay on the top most of the time though. The crabs and other snails will be on your rock, so they can just ride along with your rock or with your fish.

Found the cerith snails work best on algae, but they are a bit of pain as they can't turn themselves over. Hermit crabs and Fighting conchs really do a great job cleaning up the detritus (aka poop). Those little crabs are constantly eating all the time.

I have about 30 or so snails, 10 hermits, and 3 green algae crabs.

I had a really cool Sally lightfood crab, but my squirrel fish ate it :angry:

Anyway, hope that helps. Maybe someone else will pipe in a confirm my newbyness :)

7. Xenia123

Xenia123 Astrea Snail

Hello from one plankton to another;D
    Hope you will have success with your new hobby.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Jokko453 HEY! Welcome to 3reef!:wave: Louisville here!!!!!

10. cuttingras

That sucks...want me to keep it for ya, for the next year? I can send you pics of it over the internet? You pay, I play? LOL j/k that sucks you gotta go though!

11. Jokko453

Jokko453 Plankton

Hey guys thanks, I guess Ill e getting rid of this stuff... Big air force wont want to send me back here so Ill probably be staying over seas after Korea....maybe Ill try for Germany that would be sweet...

Im gonna be sticking around on here though for sure...Im not giving up on the hobby...its just been postponed!

12. cuttingras

send your tank and eq with you! you can get rock and livestock in Germany and have your set up there and teach others as you learn then when you leave there, you can sell it to someone who has always showed interest in yours...

btw my hubby retired AF :) 1977-1996(took the early out!)

what all do you have and what size is it?