New Setup...New Hobby!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Jokko453, Feb 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jokko453

Jokko453 Plankton

Hey everyone,
    I'm New to the hobby...Finally went out and bought the last RSM at my local store (a few months of research and weeks of debating over the tank). I have 20 pounds of sand and about 45 pounds of rock (half live, half base).

Now for some questions! I got different answers from different people at the salt water store I bought the setup at regarding lighting during the cycling process. On or Off? Right now I'm running them for 6 hours a day (only been set up for 4 days). Also.. algae. Right now im getting some green slime on some of the base rock. I was told the first thing I would see is the brown algae (forgive my lack of an algae vocabulary)... so I don't know if this is bad or not.

And last question.... Aquascape! I like mine...but I dont know if it will limit what type of corals I can have or how many...I am always willing to re-do it. My concern is the possible lack of light on the lower haf of the tank.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef!
    Shut the lights off during the cycle, all it does is fuel algae. If you stacked the rock on top of the sand make sure you watch getting any golbys because they will dig to the side of the rock and shift the foundation.
    Nice set up you have going. Just take your time, this is not a race!

1 person likes this.
  4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

To 3Reef!!!

Salutations! Glad to see you found way here!

Congrats on joining the SW world.

Your rock and tank look great. Just make sure all is good and stable.

Take some time to read while cycling. Ask all the questions you want. Few LFS employees have the experience that 3Reef members do.

Good Luck.

Keep us posted!

[​IMG]

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

[​IMG]

5. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

WELCOME to 3REEF. Early on I realized that the worse advice came from the LFS -- the best advice from 3Reef. Lot's of people here who have been feeding their addiction for years -- nice people, too. Personally, I would make sure that your rock structure is really solid. You'll be amazed at how much weight some inverts can move - especially hermit crabs. Good luck and take your time.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jokko453

Jokko453 Plankton

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome!

In regards to light, if I shut the lights off, wouldn't that hinder the growth of coralline algae?

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Coralline will come from actinic lights and that will only happen if you keep your Ca, Mg, and ALK rock solid. Everyone always wants coralline, it will come with time to a healthy tank. Once you see if starting to take hold of the tank at about week 12 then you know the tank is ready. I my self would wait until week 6 or 7 before I even turn on Actinics then I would wait about 3 or 4 more weeks before I turned on the MH's and then I would only run them for 4 or 5 hrs a day then increase 1 hr every 1.5 to 2 weeks. But then again I take my time at this stuff and most will tell you that as soon as your Ammonia is 0 throw fish in.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>>>

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Welcome aboard mate, looks good and ditto on what Otty said, he da man.;D

11. MushroomHead

MushroomHead Astrea Snail

your aquascape looks fine for corals and such, you may need more "middle level" platforms for certain corals and anemones.
    Otty is right about the shifting problem, it would be really bad for all that rock to come crashing down on your livestock. make sure the are settled on the glass and not the sand

1 person likes this.
  12. Jokko453

Jokko453 Plankton

Ok awesome, thanks a lot. I have the bottom rocks on the glass and then put the sand in over it. I'm going to add some more rocks on the bottom and the maybe towards the middle on the left hand side, help prop that big on up more......this is an addicting hobby....its all I think about and I just started.