New SC-65 Skimmer bubbles

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by mm2002, Oct 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Just got this yesterday, and these are great skimmers for the money. My only problem is it sits in the sump right next to the return pump, and it produces a ton of micro bubbles out the bottom of the level adjustment tube. The result is a lot of bubbles entering the tank. There isn't room under it for a sponge, nor do I really like using sponges anyway. I tried putting a piece of mesh between the skimmer and pump, and that helped a little, but not much. I thought of maybe adding a couple of elbows to direct the outflow to the surface of the water, but not sure how that would affect things. Anyone have any ideas? The sump water is around 8" deep. I'm sure there's something obvious I'm just not thinking of, so that's why I'm asking you! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Pictures would be extremely helpful... It is difficult to provide a solution without seeing the problem.

However, my first thought would be to move the location of the skimmer so it isn't directly next to the pump- my guess is that you probably can't, otherwise you wouldn't have posted.

Second thought is to put plastic divider between the skimmer outlet and the pump inlet. That would give the bubbles time to reach the surface before being sucked into the DT. The water would flow around the divider, but the bubbles would dissipate before reaching the pump.

Also, skimmers tend to give off micro bubbles during their break in period. A lot of times they will greatly reduce/ disappear after it has been running for about two weeks.

4. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Sorry about the lack of pics, but I'm at work. Yes, it's a small sump separate from the main sump, and no room to move anything around. I think you hit it with the plastic divider idea. I used a mesh sheet (which I thought would help to dissipate the bubbles), but didn't think about using a solid piece (senior moment I guess lol). By making the water have to travel around a couple of corners before getting to the pump will most likely remedy it. Also, you are correct about the break in period, but this one is releasing so many bubbles I'm sure it will still be an issue after break in. I'm going to try your idea tonight. Thanks!

5. silor

silor Sea Dragon

Mine still does release a little but I have no divider and it is very close to my return,
    I dont get any micro bubbels after it was broke in took about a week or just under a week
    But I gave mine a vinegar bath also

6. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Thanks for the input. We'll see how it is after it's broke in, and like a dummy I decided to bypass the vinegar bath.
    I gotta admit one thing though, these are really good skimmers, surprisingly good.

7. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Directing the skimmers out flow to the surface would probably help. I added a couple of PVC elbows to my old MCE600 to direct the flow to the surface, I think it cut down micro bubbles by ~50%.

8. Click Here!

9. silor

silor Sea Dragon

Your welcome.

I told ya that it was made well I was shocked at it to be honest I'm still very happy with my 120

10. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Yep. Your post was one that helped with my decision to buy one. Lots of bang for the buck here. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll let it "season" a bit, but I think that mod is in the near future. It just makes sense.

11. mssgs

mssgs Plankton

Hello,

I just received my SC150 skimmer yesterday from SCAquariums. Here is really great value for the cost. It looks to be a Bubble Magus nac7 clone.

I was having the same issue with micro-bubbles in the display tank. For me, my external filter is a 35-gallon Sterilite container. So, I was able to simply reposition the return pump and it rectified the problem.

Also, the inlet tube for the venturi was making a modest, but noticeable sound. I took a two-inch piece of rigid tubing and about 7 inches of airline tubing, connected them together and inserted into venturi tube inlet. The noise was eliminated and it did not seem to effect bubble output in the skimmer's water column. A handy tip someone might find useful.

p.s., these forums are so helpful for useful info.

Regards, mssgs

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011